Chapter 17: Confusing situations

Saira's P.O.V

Li looked at me, shock was in his eyes as the words, I said proceed up into his mind.
"You can't leave."
"Well, I just did, Lieutenant."
Li opened his mouth to say something. Deep inside I hoped that Li was going to stop me, but he didn't. He stood there. Quiet and looking into my eyes. I could tell he was fighting with his inner self.
"Are you sure about your decision?"
"Yes, I am, Sir. I'm just taking my stuff and then I'm gone."
Li looked over to Haku who was very quiet, in my surprise.
Li let out a sigh and nodded:"As you wish."

We were quiet during the whole walk to the ship. Li walked in front of us, not turning around once. I could tell he was pissed because I didn't follow his orders for the I think eighth time on this day.
I felt someone squeezing my hand. As I looked up, who it was, I could see a quiet, sad looking Haku. We kept walking like this for a while. He acted unprofessional just like I did. What happened to my discipline? I should shrug off his hand, but I didn't.
After a while Haku finally broke the silence:"Are you sure you wanna leave?"
I looked up at him, not being sure if he was just kidding me. Of course I didn't want to leave! But who else should help these people? The United Forces were refusing to do so.
"I don't have any other choice, Haku."
"We need you here."
"Not as much as the people of Ahana need me. Or US. There are plenty of other navigators who are willing to follow orders, unlike me. So I think it's better for everyone for me to leave."
Haku let go of my hand and wrapped his arms around my waist. I jerked, feeling the pain rush through my body.
Haku completley ignored my move and continued:"It's not better for me. I will miss you a lot."
"Stay professional, Haku.", was the only sentence, I managed to say. Haku realized what he was doing and let go of me.

I sighed as I saw the fleet, still praying that Li would not let me go. But my wish was not fulfilled. Li kept walking, ignoring me. I felt the coldness catching my body again and started to shake.
As we reached the SS Minato, I sighed. We walked in and I immediately went downstairs. Reaching my cabin, I started packing the few things, I got with me. As I picked up the Watertribe robe, I wore at my funeral, I heard someone knock on my door. I turned around to see Li leaning on the doorframe:"May I come in?" I nodded, putting down the gown. Li picked it up again and looked at it:"You looked beautiful in it. It's sad that it's only made for funerals."
He looked away from the dress and put it down.The he locked his golden eyes with my green golden ones, his face only an inch away from mine. I could feel his breath tickling my cheeks, feeling my heart racing in my chest.

Iroh's P.O.V

We kept staring at each other like this for a while, the desperation in our eyes. I didn't know if it was the right time to tell her who I was. Or to tell her what and how I felt. I wasn't sure if the situation was right. But now, she was standing here, looking me into the eyes as if she looked for answers inside me. I could see the nervousness in her eyes and feel the hasty breath on my collarbone.

Why was she that damn rebellious? Why couldn't she just follow orders like every other normal person on this world? If she wouldn't have refused to listen to me, we wouldn't be in this situation. I knew Saira wanted me to help this island, but I couldn't. I couldn't break rules or do whatever I wanted like she did. I was an Admiral for God's sake and I was about to get promoted. Why couldn't she understand that? That I'm not allowed to do any mistake. But then I remembered that Saira was only nineteen and I was about to be twenty-three in a few months. She probably didn't have any important responsibility like I had,  as military official and as a member of the Royal Family of the Fire Nation and Commonwealth Countries. Then I remembered again, that she was the one guiding and planning routs for my fleet.
"I want you to stay.", I whispered in her ear.
Saira shuddered at the touch of my lips on her right ear.
"I've already made my decision. I'm not able to change it now."
"You don't have to. We all will stay."
Saira's eyes lit up. Her lips formed to the typical Saira-bright-smile. She swung her arms around my neck, in a hug, jerking immediately. I wrapped my arms around her back and pulled her tighter.
"Thank you."
"It's our duty to help people, isn't it?", I asked, laying my head against hers.
"Indeed, Li.", she whispered.
I enjoyed our hug, not wanting it to end. But I had Haku as my friend and it was impossible to enjoy times with women when he was around.

We heard a loud whistle and saw Haku standing in the doorframe. Saira pulled away from me continuing packing her back, her cheeks burning red.
"Uhm...we're staying...", I reminded Saira. She immediately stopped packing and laughed nervously.
"I-I have totally forgotten that."
"So you managed to change Ir- uhm I mean Li's mind again huh? You are pretty cheeky, Lady Saira."

For the last dragons' sake, stop it Haku.

Saira's burning cheeks redened more:"I-I didn't." Haku smirked:"Sure. How did you do that?"
Then she slapped his arm and managed to calm down but her cheeks were still red.
"I think we should let Lady Navigator unpack her bag.", I cleaned my throat and pulled Haku out of Saira's cabin. I looked into Saira's room for the last time to see her smiling at me.

"When are you going you tell her, Iroh? If you don't take her, I will.", Haku joked.

"Soon.", I said.

And I knew it was a lie.