Chapter 20: Yue Festival

Saira's P.O.V

Phew...I couldn't believe, that Ahana was finally renewed. It took us two months to rebuild this island. Some people might think that Ahana was as small as the Southern Watertribe, when Katara found Aang but for the dragon's sake, it was huge. Some could compare it to the capital of the Northern Watertribe. No wonder, Ahana wanted it's independence. In the last two months, I have seen places, I thought I've seen, but never did before.
The Yue Festival was today. The people of the Watertribes celebrated it to thank the late Princess Yue for her sacrifice.
Today, sixty-four years ago, Admiral Zhao, killed the moon, the goodness, Tui or whatever people called it. However the princess, who was born very ill, near to death, was given a part of Tui's life.
When the Fire Nation attacked the Northern Watertribe and Zhao killed Tui, causing the world loosing it's balance. Waterbenders weren't able to waterbend, while firebender got stronger because the moon was "destroyed". Yue, however sacrificed herself and gave up her life to recreate the balance between good and bad, moon and sun.
And for this heroic action, the people of the Watertribe named this day after her.
On this day, little girls dressed as her and the boys as Sokka. Since both, Yue and Sokka, weren't benders, they loved to imitate them.
There was also a dance at the evening. I was asked by many men to accompany them. But since there were so many beautiful girls on this island I wanted the gentlemen to ask the ladies, who lived here. And to be honest, I didn't want to attend the dance. I wanted to be back in Republic City. I wanted to stop freezing everyday, since I was not used this climate. Not even after two months. Apropos two months, my injury was completely gone, thanks to Katara, waterbending and a lot of painful hours. I loved the feeling of breathing and moving around without pain. And I felt happier. I still could hear the little girl's voice and saw her in every dream of mine. But Li was here for me, helping me bearing those horror moments.
To be honest, I didn't want to go to the Yue Dance because Li didn't ask me. I still didn't tell him, that I was in love with him, because I couldn't find a "suitable moment", how Katara called it.
Everytime, I spent time with Li, I realized that I was falling for him more and more, everyday. He was working hard to rebuild Ahana. Even right now, he was helping decorating. I could see girls stalking and giggling behind him and I couldn't feel different but jealous. But he never payed much attention to them, causing me to feel satisfied.
At lunch, Li and Haku accompanied me.
"So...do you have a date for the dance?", Haku asked.
I kept staring at my food:"I'm not going to attend it, my dear Haku. How about you two?"
Haku nodded happily, showing me the girl, he asked. I didn't like her. Something in my mind told me, that she wasn't a good human being. I knew people very well but I didn't want to destroy Haku's happiness. And it was just for the dance. But I still couldn't understand why a lovely young man like Haku asked that snake out.
I hoped that Li didn't ask a girl like her. Li! My whole attention was on him again. I wondered, whom he asked out. And I knew it wasn't me.

Calm down, Saira. You're not the only girl on this planet. He can ask whoever he wants to. He doesn't know anything about your feelings.

After I calmed down myself, I managed to ask Li:"How about you?"
Li looked up at me, disappointment in his eyes:"I'm not going, since she rejected."
Deep inside, I was the happiest person on earth but I tried to sound as sad as possible and comforted him, by telling him, that I didn't have a date too.

Iroh's P.O.V

I was sad, that Saira didn't go to the Yue dance, since I wanted to ask her. But she decided not to go, so I took it as a rejection. After lunch, we went back, decorating the open air dance hall. I let out a sigh when a group of girls sat behind me, giggling.
My eyes were only on Saira, who was talking to a little girl, who was dressed as Yue. Saira was making different grimaces, causing the girl to laugh. Then they gave each other a hug and the little girl left. As Saira tidied herself, her eyes met mine. "What?", she formed with her lips. I just shook my head and laughed.

The sun slowly disappeard behind the icebergs and the lights went on. We have done a really good job by decorating. After a long day with plays of the Northern Watertribe war against the Fire Nation, many games and a lot of music, parents took their exhausted children home. At this time, the Yue dance started. My eyes were looking for Saira, who could have changed her mind. But they didn't find her. Fortunately, I knew where I could find her, if she wasn't here. I went to the Aashiqui Bridge. And I was right. Saira was standing in the centre of the bridge, watching the water flow, deep in thoughts.
"Good evening, Lady Saira."
She slowly raised her head and smiled brightly as she saw me:"Good evening, Sir Li. What brings you here?"

You

"Since we both don't have a partner for the Yue dance, I thought we could spend the last day on Ahana together."
"That's a wonderful idea, Li. May I ask you something?"
"Of course."
"Who did you ask out?"
"I didn't ask her actually. But she already rejected."
"How that? Come on! Tell me, who it is!"
I let out a deep breath. I guess it was the right time now. On the Aashiqui Bridge, ironically known as the the Lover's Bridge.

"You."

Saira's eyes widened in surprise as my words proceeded:"But you didn't."
"Because you didn't want to go to the dance."
"It's because you didn't ask me!"
"No one can change your mind, Saira. So I respected your decision."
Her eyes were still widened, but this time in shock.
"At least we can spend time with each other.", I managed to say.
Saira nodded and turned her head back to the water.
"Saira?"
"Hm?"
Saira looked up to me, her golden-green eyes looking into my golden ones. The world around us was completely quiet and stopped moving, as if it was watching us and waiting for this moment.

I placed my right hand on her waist and pushed her slim body on mine as tight as possible, feeling her heart racing against mine.

Now.

I slowly moved my head towards hers, took a deep breath and slowly pressed my lips against her soft ones.
Saira was completely frozen. I was unsure if I should stop but then she wrapped one of her hands around my neck and placed the other one on my chest. Neither Saira nor I thought about breaking the kiss but at some time, we both pulled away to breathe.
"Why did you take so long?", Saira mumbled, kissing me again.
"I didn't know how to.", I managed to say, before our lips met again.

"I love you, Saira."
"I love you more."

Hope you liked the chapter! In case you are a Yugioh-fan, please check out my newest story Past and Present!