Chapter 38: Differences

Saira's P.O.V

Today was the day, I was going to meet the leader of the Equalists. I was slightly nervous because it was my first meeting as a councillor alone. The other times I usually met leaders with Tenzin and the other councillors.
I waited at the conference room and it was almost three pm. No sign of the equalist. But when I was about to leave, he finally appeared. In front of me, a figure was standing. I guessed it was a man since it didn't have any signs of a female female body. He wore a mask and a hoodie and I doubted his seriousness. He reminded me of a clown. But I kept being serious and raised from my chair.

"Good afternoon, Sir..."

"Amon."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr Amon. You're a little bit late. I hope you are aware that the Council has a lot of other tasks and meetings."

"I'm very well aware of that, and I apologize for my behaviour. I'm delighted that at least one councillor is interested in equal rights."

"The Council is interested in helping everyone. It's our duty to hear out the problems of the inhabitants of the United Republic and to find a solution."

"If it's your duty, why don't you do it? Have you seen Republic City? We non benders don't have any rights here."

"Every individual has rights. You can't tell me that one group of people doesn't. Especially in Republic City."

"Since you are too posh to see anything I will tell how non benders are treated in Republic City."

"I know how they are treated. That's a big problem and the reason why we both are here. Oh and please keep in mind to stay out of my personal life and space since it doesn't have to do anything with the situation."

"It very well has, Councillor. Tell me one non bender, who can live like you do."

"Hiroshi and Yasuko Sato with their daughter. Not benders, different cultures and ethnicities, living peacefully in Republic City. If you try, you can have anything. Being a non bender is not an excuse to be poor. You can either take that as an excuse or you work and study hard to achieve the position you want."

Amon kept thinking for a while. It was completely calm and I felt uncomfortable around this man. Something made me nervous.

His aura?

I don't know.

Is he dangerous?

Definitely.

But I had to stay calm. I was not allowed to show any weakness and or emotions about my insecurity.

Then he suddenly looked at me and my whole body started aching. My feet moved me towards him although I didn't want to.

What in God's sake is happening here?

I was standing in front of Amon, our faces only inches away from each other. I couldn't move, not react, nothing. Just like a stone.
He walked behind me and got closer. I could feel his body against my back and did everything to stay calm. But I couldn't.

"How dare you to touch me?"

He just chuckled.

"Just remember that you are not a member of the Royal Family. And now, you will listen to me."

I kept quiet, waiting for what was coming next. I was annoyed that I couldn't do anything against this whole situation. I hated my body for freezing.

"Are you going to say anything or can I go?"

"You will step down as councillor. And let me take over your position."

"Keep dreaming."

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me against his body that it hurt.

"You don't know what I can do to you."

"I want to know it.", I said with gritted teeth.

My body turned around and I was as close as before. Suddenly I knew what was happening but I couldn't believe it.

"You are a blood bender."

"Not only beautiful but smart too. I'm impressed."

"I thought you weren't able to bend."

"As you can see and feel, I can."

"Katara forbid bloodbending."

"Do you really think that old hag knows what's she's talking about? Ha! I thought you were smarter since you fought for the opposition in Ahana."

"Why do you know that? This is something between Ahana and me."

"Well, you didn't notice. But I was present too. And now, good night."

With that sentence, I heard a crack inside me and everything around me went black.

Peep...peep...peep...

Someone turn off that annoying noise!

As I opened my eyes, I was not at home. Everything was white. Beds, sheets, even my vetements were white. And then I realized, where I was. I was at the place, I hated the most. The place that made me feel dependant and weak. I was at the hospital. A pipe connected me with the machine that made those provoking noises.

"You are awake!"

I turned my head to see Tenzin, Rin and Lu Ten.

"How long have I been out?"

"Three days."

"What happened?"

"You had a meeting with the leader of the Equalists. As Tenzin walked in, you were already on the floor with the leader above you. He escaped before Tenzin could do anything.", Rin explained.

My mind was clouded. I couldn't think straight nor remember anything.

"But tell us. What exactly happened there?"

I kept thinking. What happened? I didn't know.

"I don't know. The last thing I remember was that I was discussing with Amon and we both disagreed with each other. And then he stopped talking and just looked at me."

"Did he do anything to you?"

"As far as I can remember, no. But you know more than me. Tell me did he do anything to me?"

"No. But we guess that he attacked you and that's reason enough to catch him."

"Maybe Amon didn't attack me? Maybe my heart just failed and I just went unconscious."

Tenzin shook his head.

"The doctor excluded a heart attack. Let's say he really didn't harm you, why should he have runned away then? Don't you think that's curious Saira?"

I let out a sigh and layed back.

"You are right. But why should he attack me? I was there for his interests and for the interests of non benders."

"I guess we won't find that out that fast.", Lu Ten interrupted.

I looked at him. I was happy to see him, I couldn't deny it. Although Iroh was past, I didn't want Lu Ten's and my friendship to break. Because he was like a little brother to me although he was two years older than me.
He was so different from Iroh. Iroh was introverted while Lu Ten was more extroverted.
Lu Ten took more after Princess Izumi while Iroh took after Prince Hayao.

But I enjoyed the difference of the brothers. I loved their difference because that's what made both of them special.