Chapter 1

Author's note: I'm so sorry about the really crappy cover. I tried to make a cute one but my editing app was being stupid. If anyone wants to make me a cover I'd be so happy and you would get a shoutout but it's fine if no one does we'll just have to deal with the crappy one.

Hunter's POV

I woke up and got out of bed stretching. I looked over to see my beautiful wife Stephanie still asleep. I smile and decide to shower. I'll wake her for work later.

I go in the bathroom and get undressed. I start the shower and turn it up super hot like I like it. I step in and just relax a bit before I start to wash my body. Stephanie and I have been pretty stressed lately with work and all but mostly because of what happened last year.

We had been trying so hard for a baby for 4 years and finally last year Stephanie got pregnant. We were thrilled. But when she was 6 months pregnant something went wrong with our baby. The doctors try everything to save her but she died anyway. We were devastated. But it was worse on Stephanie. She hasn't been the same since and now she refuses to try again for another baby.

I finish washing up and get out of the shower. I dry off and get dressed in my suit for work. I leave the bathroom and see the bed empty. Stephanie must be up now. I go into our kitchen and see her making coffee and pancakes. I wrap my arms around her back and kiss her neck. She smiles and giggles.

I let her finish breakfast and then we eat together. After breakfast she goes to shower and I clean up the dishes.

Once she's done showering we finish getting ready for work. It's another extremely cold day and in Minneapolis Minnesota. We both live here but neither of us are originally from here. I'm from New Hampshire and Stephanie is from Connecticut. We both went to college here for business and that's how we met. Now we own a big children's toy company and live in a pent house here in the city.

But it's been really cold this past week. It's only 5 degrees out now but Stephanie insists on walking to work because it's only a block away from our pent house.

I sigh as I pull on my coat and boots since it snowed last night. I put on my scarf, gloves, and hat as well. Stephanie finishes putting on her stuff as well and now we are ready to go.

Half way to work we are both already freezing with cold as we past by a familiar ally we pass by everyday on the way to work but something seems different about it today. Stephanie lets go of my hand and walks in. "Stephanie." I call in a warning voice. She ignores me and continues to walk further into the ally leaving me no choice but to follow her in.

She stops in front of a mountain of snow piled up at the back of the ally. She bends down and begins to clear the snow away. I watch her puzzled.

But soon two tiny heads pop out of the snow. I make a shocked gasping sounds as I see the two tiny kids looking at me and Stephanie with wide scared eyes. "It's ok I'm Stephanie and this is my husband Hunter. You two are awfully young to be out on your own. Where are parents?" Stephanie asked them. "Dead." The boy who looked to be the oldest said bravely and sadly. Stephanie and I looked shocked. These boys were so young to be out on their own. "I'm so sorry to hear that. You must be really cold and hungry." Stephanie said and they both nodded. Their clothes didn't look warm at all. "Come on. Hunter and I don't work far from here. You two can come with us and we'll feed you and give you some warm clothes." Stephanie said and they nodded again.

The older boy stood up holding tightly to the younger boy. Stephanie and I took off our hats and put one on each boy's head even if the hats were too big on them. Then we took off our scarfs and put them around the boy's necks as well. Then we quickly lead them to our office building with us to get them something to eat and some warm clothes.