Blog Post #8: They're After Me

Julie Adams

Julie Adams

June 18, 2016: Saturday

Day 16: Gaza

Alright, I don't know how long this will be up before it gets replaced, but the Israeli government is after me.

They have not taken a liking to my reporting, and thus have sent soldiers after me. The place where I was staying got bombed, and all my equipment got fried. I've snuck into the media room at a military base to do this. A friend has been helping me.

Mr Andrews, if you are reading this, do not panic. I will find a way out.

A couple of days ago, my hosts, Ahmad and Amna, got married. It was beautiful. But on our way back to their home, it got blasted by three bombs. There was nothing left but smoking rubble by the time we got there.

Nothing I say here is safe, but I do not care, I will say it.

It has been a fantastic time in Gaza so far. I got to know the locals, and I got to talk to a lot of people. Unfortunately, the footage I had of that experience got blasted in the rubble, and I will have to wait till I get back to South Africa to see if I remembered to save any of it to the cloud.

I will say this, though, and I have been saying it my entire trip. The people here amaze me. They have absolutely nothing, but they make the most of what they have, they truly do not let circumstance get them down.

Having said that, though, Gaza can be equated to an open-air prison. Some areas have curfew, there are strict rules that need to be followed and the streets are crawling with soldiers. The soldiers are merciless; I have seen them shove women just because their children are too noisy.

One particular incident is burned into my mind. A little kid was riding his tiny little bike up and down the street when two soldiers came up to him and demanded him to stop. He did so, immediately. One backed him up against a wall, with a gun to his chest while the other soldier set the bike alight. It was cruel.

I do not have more time to write more.

Remember,

Be Alert.

Be Smart.

#DownWithIsrael

***

A/N

Short blog post! 

I love Rafeef Ziadah, have you heard her other work?

Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share! :)