6. The Next, You're Dead

I watched as the taxi drove away, leaving me to breathe in its smoke. The taxi driver, who had said two words ('good luck') to me, had sped away before I had even closed the door. I could see why, though. I was standing in front of a desolate area, cordoned off by several wired gates. Trying to remember everything I had read about this entry point, I made my way forward to the guard box a few meters away. There was a single guard soldier behind the desk. She had dark hair and blue eyes. I gave a wide smile and placed my documents in front of her.

"Hello!" I greeted.

She didn't even glance at me. Taking my documents, she scanned my passport in and examined my press pass. I noticed a silver ring on her right thumb. There was something engraved on it but I couldn't see what. It wasn't even a very feminine ring either. Shaking my head, I pushed the thought to the back of my mind.

"Bags," the soldier said, sliding my passport and press pass to the side.

I heaved my backpack and small rolly bag onto the desk. The soldier proceeded to open them and rifle through everything.

"Do you have anything illegal in here?" she asked.

I shook my head and replied, "Not at all."

"Any weapons?"

"No."

"Alcohol?"

"No."

"Guns?"

Pretty sure that fell under weapons. "No."

"Drugs?"

"Not in the least!"

With a firm nod, she typed something into her computer, wrote something in my passport and handed everything back to me. I zipped up my bags and walked towards the electric fence. I waited for about ten minutes before my name was called out. The gate slid open and I made my way into the terminal. My heart sank when I saw the soldier on duty.

Just my bloody luck.

I gave Adon a small smile, hoping that he didn't recognise me.

"You," he said, his face expressionless.

I widened my smile. "So lovely to see you again."

Adon scowled at me and I hastily placed my documents in front of him.

"Is this your first time in Gaza?"

"It is, yes."

"Why do you want to enter Gaza?"

"I am a journalist, and I'm visiting a friend."

Adon raised his eyebrows and my stomach tightened.

Crap. Did I saw the wrong thing?

"Friend?"

"Yes, she's uh...She's my neighbours sister." I tried not to close my eyes and groan God, Julie. Neighbour's sister? That is the biggest pile of dung you've ever thought of.

Adon stared at me blankly, obviously not buying what I had just blurted.

"What company do you work for?"

"Excuse me?" I squeaked, my brain had gone blank.

"Journalist. You said you were one! What is your company name?"

"Oh," I breathed. "Spark Publishers. I write for the paper Spark."

Adon gave a quick nod. "Bags please."