3. A New Home

3. A New Home

From: amnagz@mail.com

To: julieadams@sparks.co.za

Subject: Help.

Hello Julie

Thank you for your response. I live in Gaza, and it is in Palestine. For as long as I can remember, we have been under attack. We have no freedom and are constantly being attacked. I have not had food for a few days now. I need help. Can you help me?

From,

Amna

The email arrived on Saturday, the day before I was going to leave for Palestine. I immediately responded to Amna's email.

To: amnagz@mail.com

From: julieadams@sparks.co.za

Subject: Help.

Amna,

I am a journalist from South Africa. I have spoken to my boss and I will be arriving in Tel Aviv on Monday. Can we meet up?

Regards,

Julie Adams

A few hours later, after I had finalised my packing, Amna's response arrived.

From: amnagz@mail.com

To: julieadams@sparks.co.za

Subject: Help.

Lovely Julie,

That is great news. I look forward to meeting you. When you do come to Gaza, I will be at this address: 265 Aztad Road, Hurria.

From Amna

I wasn't actually sure if I'd even meet Amna, but I wanted to, so I made a note of her address and put it into my laptop bag. After making sure that I'd packed everything, I headed to bed, excitement gnawing away in my stomach.

*

I looked out of the window as the plane hit the tarmac. The ocean glinted in the distance, the rest of the land was a concrete jungle. A few seconds later my view was obscured by the landing strip, private planes, and large jets. I was pretty sure I'd seen some military planes too, but they were too far away when I tried to look back.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Tel Aviv and thank you for flying Arabian Airways. Residents and those with the appropriate passports, please turn left when embarking. Foreigners, please turn right. It is currently 14:36, so set your time an hour ahead," the captain announced.

While he repeated the welcome in Hebrew, I looked over my documents and made sure I had everything. Mr Andrews had spoken to a prominent newspaper here to alert them that I was arriving. Someone from their company would pick me up and drop me off at my hotel. From there, I'd be able to go around the country and, if I needed it, ask the newspaper for help.

I waited for a few more minutes and when the plane had emptied, I got up and made my way out. The airhostesses smiled at me and waved me off. I walked through the tunnel and came to the T that I assume the pilot was talking about. There was a sign that gave information as to what to do. An arrow pointing left showed the flags of several countries, including Israel, excluding Palestine. A sign just above the flags said: Travellers with passports to any of the following countries, which was then followed by the flags and in fine print, the country names. I had a quick look and saw mainly first world countries, such as the United Kingdom and the USA. I, unfortunately, had to turn right and follow the "Foreigners this way" board.