Chapter Eight - Part 4

************

The bitter air nipped at Troy’s raw face as he trudged a path through the knee-deep snow. He high stepped over the endless sea of white powder as he approached his next destination of his tours.

“Where is this place?” said Troy through chapped lips to nobody in particular.

Would Dr. Hill even know where this place is? he thought to himself.

“Major White!” he belted out, silenced by the insulating snowfall.

Troy called Major White through his Nanolense.

“Major White,” greeted Troy hastily.

“Yes, Mr. Duckworth?” he replied in his raspy tone.

“President Barber has sent me to observe the Military Complex today. I believe I am outside the area. But I do not know exactly where or how to enter,” admitted Troy.

“You are lost!” laughed Major White. “The president sends you out here and doesn’t tell you how to enter?”

His boisterous laughter annoyed Troy. Troy waited for Major White to quiet his guffawing for the opportunity to speak through the bellows.

“Major White,” interrupted Troy, losing patience. “Major White! I am standing outside the mountain in the darn cold. How do I enter?”

“Oh,” relaxed Major White. “Well, let’s see. You see the mountain from your location?”

“Yes sir,” replied Troy.

“Do you see the pattern in the peak? What does it look like?” inquired Major White.

Troy squinted, looking up and focusing in on the mountain peak. The sun and the albedo snow shined brightly, preventing him from viewing the mountain peak with precision.

“It looks like,” he said, still squinting. “It looks like a,”

“Oh,” shouted Major White. “I’m only joshing with you, son. You’re right above the entry tunnel. Hold tight.”

Troy’s feet were hot. He looked down. The snow beneath him was melting quickly, revealing a white floor panel.

“Step off the platform,” said Major White through the Nanolense. “It is going to slide open.”

Troy abided, stepping back onto the snow-covered area. The white door smoothly slid open. Troy stepped down into the opening. The white door closed quickly above his head.

“Did you make it yet?” asked Major White.

“Yes, sir. Yes, sir. I’m here now,” responded Troy, looking around the interior of the tunnel.

“Good. Now, walk towards the light. See you soon,” said Major White with a renowned seriousness.

The ceiling lay only inches above his head. He could see only a tiny speck of a bright white light at the far end. Taking Major White’s advice, he began to walk in its direction.

As Troy approached, the light faded with each step forward. He started feeling cold, and a slight breeze ran across his body. He reached out and touched the white light at the end of the tunnel. The light had a surface, declining towards him. It was cold, and he could feel the breeze had turned into a constant coldness. He stepped forward. In the light, Troy saw a man’s face. He jolted backwards, frightened. He had just seen his face. He stepped forward again, leaning slowly. There again, he saw his own reflection.

“A mirror?” he asked himself aloud, bewildered.

He looked directly upwards, where another white light shined vividly.