Chapter Four - Part 4

************

 I need someone to come with me to Oakland. I've never driven more than a few miles before. I've never even driven on a highway before! thought Troy as he walked back to his dorm room.

He knew he needed somebody to aid his journey across the United States. He needed somebody he knew, somebody trustworthy.

Kim! thought Troy. She's just the one! She'll definitely want to come along.

Kim was Troy's close friend since their freshman year at Princeton. Introverted, Troy spent most of his time studying and reading in his dormitory room and the library. Outgoing yet intelligent, Kim was the first person convincing enough to persuade Troy to drink a beer, but just one beer, on his twenty-first birthday.

She and Troy shared a common determination, too. Both were driven to become successful businesspeople, studying the stock markets several times per day and devising new business strategies.

Walking to Kim's apartment, Troy wondered how he would tell Kim the reason for him going to Oakland after such short notice. Kim was always able to squeeze out everything Troy had on his mind; he needed a viable reason to go to Oakland. He could not, for any reason, tell her, or anyone else, the real reason he was traveling to Oakland.

 After several minutes brainstorming a story, Troy knocked on Kim's apartment door.

"Hey Troy, I'm like super busy right now, what's up?" greeted Kim.

Her long brown hair bounced in a thousand curls. Her white smile complemented her large dimples, dominating her petite cheeks.

"Oh, sorry. Well, I'm going to Oakland tomorrow...was wondering if you'd like to come with me," said Troy in a nonchalant manner.

"Oakland? As in Oakland, California?" asked Kim, astounded.

"Yes, as in Oakland, California," sniggered Troy.

"What the heck are you going to Oakland for? And since when have you been planning to go?" asked Kim.

"I've got an interview with a law firm in Oakland in a few days. They said they'd pay for my Law Degree if I decide to attend school out there," lied Troy.

"Wow, Troy! That's awesome! It would've been nice to know a littler earlier, though," admitted Kim.

"Yeah, I know, sorry. Dr. Cole just told me today and I was just going to go by myself, but I've never really traveled before. I thought I'd ask somebody to come with me. You were the first once who came to mind," said Troy with an embarrassed smile.

"Well, that makes me feel pretty important," joked Kim.

She let out a long, overwhelming moan as she considered Troy's invitation.

"Come on, Kim! It'll be fun! And you can study the whole time in the car. I'll drive. I'd just prefer to have some company. I'll even help you out with your homework," pleaded Troy in desperation.

Teetering the door back and forth trying to make an impromptu decision, Kim looked up from the ground.

"I'll buy your dinner every night, too. As long as it's under ten dollars," persuaded Troy.

"Oh alright," said Kim, giving in.

"We'll leave first thing in the morning," announced Troy, attempting to conceal his excitement. "I want to be on the road by seven to beat the traffic. See you then?"

"Yeah, yeah. Just call me by six thirty to make sure I'm up when you get here. If I don't answer keep calling me until I do," mused Kim with a dimpled, affectionate smile.