Chapter Six - Part 5

************

President Barber sat at his large oak desk, his right foot resting on his left knee. Troy Duckworth sat across from him, waiting. Faint footsteps tapped and galloped down the hallway just outside the president’s office door.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

President Barber provided a single nod to Troy, who then nodded back. Troy stood up from his leather-buttoned chair and sauntered over to the door to welcome the next cabinet member to a meeting.

Troy opened the door. Major White stood in place just a few feet away. He dressed in his military garb and stood up straight, legs stiff and his feet pressed tight against the other. He puffed out his large chest and lifted his shaved, sleek jawline chin, showing off his masculinity. His right hand shot up above his eyebrow. He froze. Then returned his hand and arm to his side.

“Welcome to the president’s office, Major White,” greeted Troy as he stepped aside to welcome him inside.

Major White walked in powerful, miniature goose-steps that struck the floor with a loud, crisp clap that the high ceilings returned with an echo. He approached President Barber’s big oak desk, then set himself in that military posture so similar to a statue, with his right hand slanted above his eyebrow.

“Welcome to my office, Major White. I am eager to get to work with such a respect such as yourself. Please, take a seat,” insisted President Barber in a calm and relaxed manner.

Major White quickly returned his right hand to his side, then side stepped to quickly position himself in front of the leather-buttoned chair. He stood straight up, then bent his knees and plopped himself into the chair, finally looking like a human with natural flexibility.

“Thank you, Mr. President,” said Major White through his deep, raspy voice.

Every syllable was as intense as the next, as he emphasized the most important word in every grammatical clause. He spoke perfect English, but his unique voice and tone guised his accent.

“I am honored and grateful today to be here in front of such an exceptional figure,” he said.

“I thank you for that, it’s certainly humbling,” smiled President Barber.

Major White nodded at the president, unsure how to respond.

“Let’s get to work now,” suggested the president, readjusting his seating position.

He peered over at Troy, who was anxious to begin the dialect.

“Major White, we are well aware of the many foreign threats from every angle and direction which are most vulnerable on the coasts and in the sky-from anywhere. Our nearest and most direct threat is that of the former US government, formerly from the continent and now stationed off the coast of California on a ship the size of a large city, which we simply refer to as The City. We know they are, and have been, planning a retaliation strike against The Movement on the continent. They do have some advanced technology in weaponry, but to what extent we do not know. We anticipate they are planning some sort of airstrike, or possibly sending over spies to attempt terrorist attacks in a large economic center on the West Coast. Have you any idea on how you should go about defending The Movement?” asked Troy.

“Sir, I am well aware of the foreign threats out there, and my team and I have been planning for several missions of the utmost secrecy. I also consider The City the most dangerous threat to The Movement and its supporters, most likely from the West Coast but also from anywhere else. The continent is expansive, and terrorists could travel through at night if provided with the right routes and hospitality. I am aware that Dr. Solomon Richards is head of the domestic control department, but we believe we could collaborate for a much more effective, technologically advanced security system which could detect any foreign invaders,” said Major White.