Chp.4~ Patio of the Forgotten

Magsimula sa umpisa

"So?" She started.

"So?" I asked back, wondering what she wanted me to say.

"I didn't get the chance to really talk to you so, where are you from?"

"Oh," I hoped I would only have to give her the short version. "I-"

"Out of state?" She asked. "What about siblings? Are you the only child? Ooo," She cooed over the short lunch line. Pulling me along, we stood behind Hallie and her friends. "How are your parents like? Mean, laid back, somewhere in between? My mom is kinda sorta laid back, but somewhere in the middle you know?" Her eyes got wide as she was about to ask me the next question. "Oh. My. God! I have to ask, how do you know Henry?"

It took me a minute for all of the words from Lola's mouth for my brain to understand, but as they did I couldn't help but notice Henry's girlfriend not too far in front of us. She might have been a little snobby, but she was appealing. Her skin was flawless, no blemishes or acne. Her silk hair hung loose above her shoulders, but still held its grace. It was no wonder Henry had fallen for her.

My train of thought was crashed when she had turned and met my gaze. She blinked a few times, sighing before looking down.

I brought my focus back on Lola as she waited for my answer. "Um, old friend." I grabbed a tray, adding on a nacho salad with fries and an apple juice.

Lola talked away, grabbing everything that stood in front of her.

"Follow me nuevo amiga." We sailed though the crowd of student. We passed by the cafeteria out into the hallway where a another door stood. Lola opened it with her back as we stepped outside on the school's patio. Students looked different than the ones from inside. One table had kids wearing dark makeup, smoking as they sat in silence, and another looked to occupied to even eat, playing a video game on the laptops. We continued to walk until we reached a table occupied by Kayleigh and Caleb.

"Can you just hurry up?" Kayleigh argued. Caleb searched through his pocket for something, pulling out a credit card and handing it to Kayleigh.

"Bye loser." Kayleigh shot up from her seat, grabbing her expensive handbagand rushing in, her skirt, just like Hallie, inches away from showing too much.

"There it went again, one of Kayleigh's, I'm-popular-and-you're-not tantrums." Caleb rolled his eyes, continuing to eat his black-spotted banana.

"Do you guys have any classes with each other?" I asked.

"10th grade makes me eligible with no classes with that brat."

I thought about this for a minute, how are they twins, but not in the same grade?

I guessed by the look of my face, it hinted to the table that I was confused. "It's complicated, amigo." Lola said giving me sorry eyes. I nodded my head slowly. Obviously what ever it was, they, or he, wasn't ready to tell me.

There was an awkward silence that hung in the air before Lola spoke another word. "Nice shirt Caleb, looks good on you." Lola had complemented.

"I can make anything look good." He helped himself to a bite of his Lola's pizza.

She swatted at his hand, "how about next time you use your daddy's card for good use." Lola mimicked Caleb's masculinity and sarcasm.

I set my salad on the table and took a seat in between Lola and Caleb.  "Don't mind Caleb, I promise not all people in this school is as flirty as he is."

"Ha. Ha." Caleb spoke through the mouthful of Lola's pizza.

"Thanks for letting me sit with you guys, I thought I was going to have to suffer through another day with lunch in the library." I laughed at myself, taking a fork and stabbing at my salad.