Chapter 4

By the time the WolfClan and ViperClan cats came back from the gathering, Feralstar and Whitestar went up to the rock to address them. "Cats of WolfClan and ViperClan!" Both leaders yowled. The cats of both clans looked up at them.
"We must begin to prepare for attacks immediately," Whitestar meowed. "And we also must patrol our borders without as much of a skirmish. So no cat start anything."
"Easier said than done! You heard Bravestar!" Ryenose called from below.
"His Clan's small. What's the threat?" Branchspots scoffed.
"AshClan's not even trying to get involved." Badgerstalk meowed.
"WolfClan and ViperClan stand in their own fights!" Leafpelt declared.
"ViperClan does at least.." Duskfur rumbled. "Shush!" Mistheart hissed at her brother. Dawnreed curled her tail around her paws. "They may be small, but they'll prove they'll fight to the death." She meowed to the cats below.
"But we can surely defend ourselves from a TimberClan attack!" Stunclaw yowled. Two warriors yowled in agreement with her. "You must all get some rest. We have a lot to do before daylight." Feralstar told them as he and Whitestar leaped down from the rock below.

As the morning sun rose, the warriors were talking with each other at the camp entrance. "No cat has ever made a challenge like that at a gathering." Nighriver murmured to Smallstep. "Well we're not going to cower over his threats." Rainfrost put in, letting her claws slide out.
Ottertail nodded his head. "Too right!" He declared. Darkshadow padded up, as he was just done stretching. "We just need to wait until our leaders give us a word you lot. Feralstar, what do you want me to do?" He looked to the tan tabby tom.
"Tread carefully. We're all stepping on the thinnest of ice. For we cannot fall through. And we won't. I'm accompanying you on this patrol." He meowed.
"What?!" Lightspot ran over. "Feralstar! What if you get hurt!" She wailed with worry. He gave her a gently lick to comfort her. "My warriors will help me."
"Yeah! We'll protect dad mom." Hazelheart meowed.
"He is our leader. Anycat will have go through us to get to him." Larkstep meowed.
"Oh boy a patrol! I wanna rip someone's pelt off!" Beetlepaw declared, his blue/gray tail lashing. His mentor, Whitemane, rested her tail tip on his shoulder. "Being a warrior isn't about pelt ripping." She meowed.
"Let's go." Feralstar meowed leading the way. Coyotefoot was walking beside Sweetheart, scanning the territory. Stagheart was looking around for any hostile cats.
"Now remember, stay close and be on the look out." Brindlefrost meowed to her apprentice, Mothpaw.
"Hey. Have you noticed Elmpoppy's been acting strange lately?" Deerleg muttered to Larchwing.
"Yeah. Maybe,The reddish brown she-cat muttered until Falconwing raised his tail to silence her. "Rule one on patrols. Stay silent." He mewed.
A hiss of anger sounded. Darkshadow curled his lip.
"What are you doing here? This is TimberClan territory!" Eaglespring spat.
"And you heard Bravestar at the gathering.. any invader will feel TimberClan's claws." Flintnose growled.
A growl rumbled in Feralstar's throat.
"I don't see your leader here." Growled Larchwing.
"He trusts me to lead this patrol." Leopardheart meowed.
Hazelheart only flicked her tail. Eaglespring growled. "I say we flay them!" She shrieked. "Eager warriors. Looks like Bravestar needs to do something about that.." Feralstar drawled. Flintnose growled and sprang at him.