Momentous Moments

After the day has been confirmed, Rosa leaves George to his next task and comes over to where Cole and I are sat, unsure of what to do with ourselves.

I feel like I should be doing something, now that the trial is so soon, yet I know that if I try to get involved with any of the people busily working to prepare the case I would only be a hindrance.

"I think it would be best if you slept at the station tonight." Rosa says, "The court is just in the next street so there is no point you two going back to Lauren's."

"Yes that's fine." Cole replies, answering for both of us.

"I'll take you to a room now then, shall I? Don't worry, it's not a cell, it's where the night shift workers sometimes go for a break."

"Now?" I ask in surprise, as Rosa turns to lead us out of the room.

"Well, it's nearly 9pm. You could stay in here for a bit longer if you would rather though?"

"Oh." I whisper. Me and Cole must have been alone much longer than I had thought. "No, that's fine."

There is no point staying here, everyone is engrossed in their own work, and besides, the knowledge that it is in fact late evening has caused a wave of fatigue to wash over me.

Rosa nods by way of reply and then quickly leads us out the room and through the door opposite. Instead of another meeting room, though, the door opens into a wide corridor, carpeted with a faded blue diamond design. The walls are lined with a row of framed photographs, all displaying different members of the force throughout the years. I walk forwards, my eyes taking me all the way back to 1936 and a black and white image of five dower faced men in crisp suits.

"They founded this unit." Rosa chirps, peering over my shoulder at the photograph. "But there were no facilities like these in their day." She continues, proudly indicating the sliding wooden door which she opens with a flourish of her identity card.

"Do you need one of those to get out?" Cole asks, eyeing the door suspiciously. "I don't want to be trapped inside."

He hovers on the threshold, a casual arm extended just far enough to stop me following Rosa inside.

"Oh no!" She exclaims, beaming widely and gesturing to a button on the wall by the door on the inside. "You just press this, the cards are only to get in."

"Right." Cole murmurs sheepishly, looking down at his shoes and shuffling inside. I follow close behind, grabbing his hand as Rosa turns her back.

"Thank you for checking." I whisper, smiling gratefully.

The room we are in is sparsely furnished yet warm and modern, a row of alcoves along the back wall partly obscuring several beds which are made up with fresh white sheets, the duvets folded neatly at the foot.

"Make yourselves at home." Rosa says, hitting a switch which causes a lamp to illuminate the first two alcoves. "I imagine Lauren will come down soon but there's a phone there with numbers already inputted if you need anything. Oh and I will come and get you in good time tomorrow morning so don't worry about that."

"Brilliant, thank you." I say, going over to sit on one of the beds.

"We've got some clothes and things for you both too, in that cupboard." Rosa calls, already heading back into the passage, pointing to a silver handled door as she exits. "See you in the morning!"

The door slides shut behind her and Cole and I are left alone.

I walk over to the cupboard and pull out a stack of clothes, handing Cole a set of warm green pyjamas and heading into the coolly tiled bathroom to pull on my own lilac pair.