Secretive Words

"Okay, so I think we will get started now and then fill Lauren and Cole in when they get here. Does that sound all right Jasmine?" Rosa asks, taking a seat in the empty chair opposite me.

"Yes, that's fine." I reply, still not able to meet anyone's gaze.

"Great. George, would you be able to run Jasmine through what is going to happen at the trial please?"

"Of course." The man sat next to me says, who I take to be George. He has a gruff voice but as I turn to face him he gives me another smile, the corners of his eyes crinkling merrily. He holds a paper document in his hands and proceeds to explain to me the order of the trial.

First he, as my  lawyer, will read our accusation and I will have to be asked questions by the judge. The nurse who witnessed my mother's outburst during her last visit will then be called upon as the first witness and Lauren will be the second. After that it is the turn of the defence who will say their piece before the closing statements of both parties.

"And then," George concludes, laying the document down on the table, "It is all up to the jury. We always hope for a quick decision but it may be a day or so before a verdict is reached."

"Any questions?" Rosa interrupts, leaning across the table and clasping my arm again. Automatically, I flinch back, pulling my arm out of her eager grasp.

"Calm down, Rosa." George growls, "Jasmine doesn't need you stifling her."

I smile at him gratefully as she retracts back into seat.

"She's right though. Is there anything which you don't understand?"

"No, I think I know what I have to do. It's just..." I begin, my words trailing off.

"Just what?" George enquires gently.

"What if we don't win? What if she gets off?" I say in a rush, my voice rising in pitch to resemble a hurried squeak.

"I wouldn't worry about that." Another woman pipes up, looking at me over the rim of her spectacles. She is hunched over a laptop a couple of seats along the table and once she has spoken immediately turns her face back to her screen.

"Why? Surely it's a possibility?" I press, angered slightly by her arrogant tone. How can she be so sure? After all, this result doesn't really effect her much at all. Fine, it would be a blow to her reputation, but for me it is unthinkable.

"The evidence is compelling in our favour." She replies in a monotone, not looking up from her screen. "It is very unlikely that she won't be found guilty, especially after the property search."

"The what?"

"The property search. My forensics team cleared the site and found some pretty condemning evidence."

"Lisa." Rosa interrupts, her previously  chirpy tone lowered to a clear warning. "Jasmine doesn't need to see that, does she." The edge to her voice shows that it is anything but a question.

"Why?" I say, standing up from the chair. "I am the one she has done these things to, it can't be anything that I didn't know about."

"I'm sorry, Jasmine, but we have all agreed that it is best for you not to see the photographs. It won't effect your testimony, and there is no need to upset you unnecessarily."

"Upset me? I have dealt with things much worse than mild upset. Let me see." I shout, unable to control the volume of my voice.

How can they seriously be hiding things from? They are meant to be helping me, not working behind my back. Besides, how bad can they be? They are just photographs from the house. I have lived there practically all my life.

"Let her see them." George growls, fixing his gaze on Rosa. "It's stupid to have this kind of tension, we are meant to be working together.

"Thank you." I say, sinking back into my seat and turning my eyes back to Lisa. She nods curtly to George, completely ignoring Rosa's snort of dissent, and spins the computer round so that I am staring right into the screen.

I squint across the table, focusing in on the photograph displayed on the monitor.

The blood rushes in my head, a gasp building on my tongue, but just as I am about to open my mouth the door bursts open and Lauren and Cole come striding into the room.

Author's Note:

Sorry to leave you on a cliff hanger but I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please comment your thoughts, what could the photographs be? And vote too if you liked it. Thanks for reading,
AutumnSwift1 ❤❤❤