Fragrant Desire

Lauren grips my hand tightly as we hurry along the corridor towards the recovery garden, her hold tight and reassuring. Yet already I am beginning to feel better, my head clearing and my heart beating at a more normal rate. Just the mere presence of someone who I know I can trust is like a calming blanket over my mind, convincing me, along with her words, that we can work something out.

Although the garden is the opposite end of the hospital to the psychological unit, the walk there passes quickly. Lauren doesn't converse with me, but the silence is companionable and I feel at ease- a sharp contrast to just a few minutes before.

As we near the entrance, I feel a cool breeze stirring the heavy hospital air. A large window stands ajar and through the gap I can see a row of trees and shrubbery in the garden beyond. I push through the door, Lauren on my heel, and the sweet fragrance of roses assaults my nostrils. I close my eyes and breath in the heavy scent, reveling in how real and untreated it is compared to the cocktail of chemicals sprayed throughout the rest of the hospital complex.

Slowly I open my eyes and begin to crunch my way along the gravel path, my hospital gown flapping in the outdoor air. As I turn the corner, Lauren drops my hand and falls behind slightly, letting me go on ahead alone.

Instantly my eye is drawn to a figure sitting in the stained wooden arbour. I move closer, and my gaze meets Cole's, a shy smile spreading across his face, lighting his entire countenance in a glowing spark of happiness. I feel the corner off my own mouth turn upwards in greeting and walk over to sit beside Cole on the bench, my fingers automatically entwining with his.

"You came," Cole breaths, "I missed you Jasmine."

"I missed you too. It just feels so right when we are together, that the loneliness is even more sharp when we are apart." I reply, feeling the truth of my words like a ripple between us.

"Lauren wouldn't come?" He asks, squeezing my hand warmly.

"Yes, she is just around the corner. I guess she just wanted us to have a few minutes alone." As I speak, I can feel the heat of a blush creeping up my cheeks and swallow hard, looking down at the mosaic of moss beneath my feet.

"Good." Cole says, and before I fully grasp what he means I feel his hand on my face, cupped under my chin. Our eyes interlock and he moves closer, his breath steamy on my cheek, increasing the blush until I feel like I am on fire. And then his lips are on mine and the fire intensifies, my heart pulsing with desire. My fingers wrap into his thick, dark hair and he pulls closer, the kiss intensifying. I gasp and kiss him back, tasting the saltiness of his lips and breathing in the musky scent of his skin.

Eventually, he pulls away and we just sit, breathing heavily, staring into each others eyes, our hands still locked together.

"You must be Cole?" A tentative voice asks, and Lauren appears around the corner, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot.

"Umm, yes, I am, sorry, err, nice to meet you." Cole stammers, his breathing still erratic.

"You too, now, what are we going to do?"

"Do?"

"Yes, do. I want to help you. Both of you, and to do that we need a plan, a plan to get you both better and out of here to somewhere safe."

Lauren comes and sits next to me as she speaks, flashing a confident smile.

And we sit. Three of us in a row. Together.

Author's Note:

Casmine? Jole? Hahaha, never mind! But I hope you liked this chapter and, as usual, I would love to hear your thoughts- maybe vote too if you enjoyed it! :)