Chapter 5 ( Things like me)

Topaz's P.O.V.

I spent much of the time talking to this creature that calls himself Steven. From my observation, he didn't look like one of those rock people walking around. In fact the rock people seemed to have disappeared, they weren't around anymore. Talking to Steven was surprisingly comfortable and I didn't even realize I was out of the bathroom until I noticed that when I walked, there wasn't a wet sloshing sound. Looking back through the hole of the door, Steven was soaking up the floor water with a soft looking puff that felt very nice on the skin.

Steven: Your safe here Topaz. You can enjoy life outside of that cave. Go explore, I'll be cleaning up for a while.

Now I feel bad for having to make him clean up after me. I felt empty without his words or guidance. Looking around this strange place, it was nothing like the cave I was made in. It was colorful, of course the cave was also colorful but in a different way. I didn't even know where to begin to look. I walled over to a tall, wooden object shaped like a rectangle. It was against the wall with separate boards that seemed to hold different colored rectangle in it as if displaying them. I managed to wedge one of the colorful objects loose and while I still struggled with knowing what everything is, it only surprised me more when I found I could actually read the words that were somehow imprinted on this object. I guess you can learn a lot of things by just listening.

Topaz: Adventures in Academia....

I said to myself. This object seemed moveable and flappy. I turned it's thin paper like feature. Each one apparently contained words and as I read it, I could see that it was telling me a story. I was  a surprisingly fast reader and as I tore through the story, I turned one of the paper flaps a little too hard, causing it too rip. It made such an interesting sound that I forgot about the story completely and began ripping more and more papers before I heard Steven's voice.

Steven: Topaz, no! That was Connie's book.....

He said as he gently took the "book" away from me.

Steven: It's alright though, your just curious, like Peridot.

Topaz: Peridot?

Steven: Yeah, you know the green one with the triangular hair. She ran into you in the cave remember.

Topaz: She also tried to shatter me.

Steven: She wouldn't really do it, she was just trying to get you to come out of your gem.

I was about to question Steven before a faint glow of light came from a circular device imbedded into the floor. in an instance, the 3 rock people from before had appeared out of nowhere.

Steven: Oh, look Topaz, your just in time to meet Amethyst, Garnet and Pearl.

Topaz: They don't look like you.

Steven: That's because they're gems like you and also me...sort of.

Topaz: Your a gem?

Steven: Yup, well half gem and half human.

He said before lifting the red cloth on his body to show me a very sparkly pink gem right underneath. His friends had then anxiously walked over to us.

Pearl: It's nice to meet you Topaz. Finally taking a break from the bathroom I see.

Topaz: Nice to meet you too....rock lady?

I said awkwardly. Being alone for some time has not improved my social skills and these rock and it was hard to know how to act around these rock people

Pearl: Rock Lady?

Pearl said confusingly.

Amethyst: I don't think he understands he's a gem.

Amethyst whispered but I could still hear her.

Garnet: Topaz, I know your probably confused right now but it will help if you tell us about yourself and that mine you were in.

Topaz: I don't remember....I think I've been in there for thousands of years....maybe even more.

Amethyst: What happened?

Topaz: I remember a voice.

Steven: A human voice?

Topaz: I think so. I could see then but my vision was fuzzy. At first it had just been us....the gems and I. We were imbedded into the earth in darkness the one day I could here something beneath the Earth as if it was trying to help me out. A hole collapsed and light blinded me. The voice said something about making a very good price with his "find".

Steven: Mineral Miners.

Pearl: I don't understand. How are you the only gem that's active?

Topaz: I don't understand that either but these other gems....they weren't alive, they never were. I noticed that when I first got  body.

Steven: What are you saying Topaz?

Topaz: Gems are supposed to be alive I guess and I can't explain it but I can feel other gems like when I'm around you guys. I know your there and alive but in the mine, those gems were empty, and lifeless like an ordinary rock. I knew that they were never going to form into what I did.

Everyone's head, instantly snapped back towards garnet who had pounded a fist into the wall.

Garnet: Home worlds gone too far.

Topaz: Home world?

Steven: Home world is in space. The diamonds are supreme rulers over other gems and they also make them, you'll learn more about them.

Topaz: I wasn't made by any diamond though. I just grew from the ground one day by nature I guess.

Pearl: But that just doesn't make any sense. You can't just exist if the diamonds don't want you too. Gems aren't made in the way human think they are. It's all a lie.

Amethyst: Maybe he's special like me.

Steven: Amethyst is right. I'm happy Topaz is here regardless of how he was made in the first place. It just means anything is possible and we just learned that gems can be born just as miraculous as humans. Information like that is important.

Garnet: And I have no doubt he'll make a great Crystal gem.

Pearl: And after all, I guess we don't really have much to worry about.Topaz won't give us trouble, it's not what Topaz's were made for.

Amethyst: I have never met a Topaz before, but I can already tell we'll best friends. We're both from Earth. I'm really excited to see his powers.

Topaz: I have powers?

Amethyst: Yeah dude. Every gem has special powers.

Steven: Yeah, just look. I can do this.

Steven said as his gem had began to glow and a pink shield appeared before home. I was actually very surprised and didn't understand what was going on.

Amethyst: And this.

Amethyst said before putting her hand into her gem and grasping a whip like weapon.

Pearl: And this.

Pearl said as she summoned a spear from her gem and twirled it around.

Garnet: And this.

Garnet said before two giant gloves appeared and both of her hands.

Steven: Don't worry Topaz, we'll teach you everything. There's so much you have to see.

Maybe he was right about there being a lot of things I had to see and also learn but I didn't think I was ready for it, just like I wasn't ready for Pearl's pointy nose but I wasn't going to say anything....