Chapter 3 ( Spoils of war)

Peridot's P.O.V.

We all entered this "cave" with caution after Garnet used her gauntlets to smash an opening for us. This new information, crippled us and I understood it would further dig at our minds because in reality we thought we knew everything about ourselves. Gems being mined? That can't be a real gem, I mean seriously, I haven't really even seen anyone where any of this jewelry of any kind. However, I could be wrong and I don't take lightly to that idea however, recent things on Earth have stumped me before.

The cave was the same as I last saw it. From the cave floor and the ceiling, large sharp and blunt edges of crystals and gems imbedded into the Earth, came out of the ground, revealing it's lustrous sheen to us. The place glistened, giving the place a warm feel to it, however, I know I saw something in here.

Pearl: This was right under our noses the whole time? How could we not have known this.

Amethyst: This place is uncomfortable. Nothing seems wrong with any of these gems, they aren't even bubbled so why aren't they doing anything?

Steven: I don't understand, are these gems hurt or are they all still growing. Are you guys sure this isn't just another kindergarten.

Pearl: If it is, it's a new one to us. Besides you've seen one Steven, they don't look like this. They look like their being harvested and I thought there weren't growing anymore gems on Earth.

Garnet: I don't understand what's keeping them from forming.

Peridot: If we find the gem I saw earlier, it might know, assuming it isn't corrupted.

Steven: I hope we can save it, even if it's the last one. This place was sealed off for a long time. It must feel so lonely being trapped here but we can save this gem, we can save one, even if it's the last.

I heard a hint of sadness in Steven's voice.

A moment of silence wafted throughout the cave before the sound waves of rocks being disturbed floated into our ears.

Steven: That has to be the gem.

Pearl: Be careful everyone, spread out. We have to find it. If it is a corrupt gem, we have to stop it from running loose.

Pearl had said shortly before the cave started to shake much like earlier before but since we were at the source, the quake was much stronger, causing rocks and minerals to come crashing down towards us. With Steven's quick thinking, we took cover in his bubble shield. Out exit was sealed up with fallen debris when the cave became steady again but it was now dark. Pearl had illuminated the area with her gem. Looking around from inside the bubbled shield, we all followed her light and scoped the area. The most disturbing part was when her light fell upon what was certainly two feet.

Slowly looking up, it was definitely the gem I saw from earlier. It was a lot clearer now and it's gem glistened from the light coming from Pearl.

Looking back at Steven who's pupils were now resembling the shape of twinkling stars, he was marveling at the newly foreseen spectacle before him. His lack of concentration caused his bubble shield to deteriorate, pushing us from inside of it. The gem before us, most likely sense we were endangering it and did the strangest thing. It disappeared. In a flash of blinding light, he had retreated into his gem, leaving it vulnerable and motionless on the cave floor.

Steven: I didn't know we could do that.

Pearl: Um...we can't, not unless we're hurt but to just retreat into your gem like that is very strange.

Amethyst: He's gone turtle on us.

Garnet: This makes our job much easier.

Garnet said as she walked forward to pick of the gem.

Garnet: One things for sure, it can't stay in it's gem forever and when it's out, that's when we'll have all of our questions answered.

With that said, Garnet simply walked away, punching at rocks in her way to make a new exit for us.

Pearl: You have to tell us how you found this place Peridot.

Pearl said as everyone followed Garnet out.

Time skip ( The temple)......

Pearl, Amethyst, Steven and I were inspecting the newly retrieved gem that we had placed on a comfortable pillow as we sat around it.

Amethyst: So what gem do you think it is?

Pearl: I'm not sure.

Steven: You guys don't know what gem it is?

Pearl: Well, yes it's a Topaz I think but Topaz's are known to get mistaken for other gems, unless there is a sure way to distinguish them, they could be anything and I could be wrong.

Amethyst: And it's not just any Topaz either. Pearl says it could be an Imperial Topaz, the rarest of all.

Steven: So they aren't common?

Peridot: Sort of. Topaz's are rarely seen on home world. They have such a friendly personality that Diamonds often use them as an Ambassador of sorts and anything having to do with socializing. They have the most unique ability. They can often resemble other gems and so they can temporarily change into a similar gem and have access to their abilities as well.

Steven: That's so cool!

Pearl: It's appearance was rather odd however.

Peridot: I was thinking the same thing.

Steven: Is it because he was a boy because I'm a boy gem.

Pearl: Gems are mostly female Steven, that's how we perceive ourselves, you may be the only male gem in existence but your an exception because your also half human but in all my thousands of years, I have never seen a male gem before.

Amethyst: He seemed pretty cool though. Look on the bright side, at least he wasn't corrupted, he seemed to think we were the enemy.

Peridot: I don't think he's seen other beings before. That cave was sealed off, who knows how long he could have been in there.

Pearl: He may look in top form but his mind may not be the same. We have to keep an eye on him. I have a feeling he can't hold himself inside his gem for much longer. It's a good thing you found the cave when you did Peridot.

Peridot: Of course.

Steven: I just really hope we can be friends with him. We need more gems like us to help with our cause.

Garnet: We understand but don't get your hopes up Steven. Now it's is time for bed. You get some rest and we'll keep an eye on him for you.