Chapter 10

The ballroom was filled with people. I sat on my throne with Apeta sat next to me.

      "Are you sure you want to do this?" She whispered. "You don't have to do this. Please don't..." She paused and sighed. "Let her walk her own path." She mumbled.

     "Bring in the prisoner!" My voice echoed around the room and soon the sound of chains could be heard. I shuddered as he entered. He looked even worse then when I talked to him in the cell. He was so thin it looked like he was about to die. His linen cloth was so dirty it was brown. There was bruises on his back and I could count every rib.

      "What is your sentence?" I asked. He gave me a death glare.

       "Life,"

      "Speak up!"

     "Life!" I took a deep breath and motioned my scribe over.

     "Free him tomorrow," I whispered.

     "Are you sure?" he said.

    "Yes," I hissed. He bowed and wrote it down.

     "Prisoner has been sentenced to life. However the Pharaoh is so forgiving that she has decided to lift his sentence and he shall be released tomorrow. Long live the Pharaoh!"

     "Long live the Pharaoh! Long live the Pharaoh!" Everyone yelled except Skemkemkhet. He scowled.

    "Talk to me later," he snapped.

     "I shall send a slave for you," I said. He scowled at me. He bowed and walked over to the guard who brought him in. He unlocked his chains and with that Skemkemkhet left.

...

      "Your Highness,"

      "He may enter," I said. He entered and almost looked brand new. The bruises were treated, he had a wig on, he had jewelry, makeup, and was well dressed. The only thing was the ribs. He wasn't plump anymore.

     "Leave," I said to the maid. She bowed and left. We were alone.

     "What do you think you're doing?" he asked.

     "I wanted to set you free,"

     "If this is the way you think you can make me forgive you, it isn't going to work. I am not going to forget how you put me in that cell in the first place.

    "I saved your life and set you free, you should be thankful,"

      "I am not going to be thankful when you could have been in that cell, and I would have been the one sitting on that throne!"

      "Fool! It would be you on the throne with a bunch of advisers sitting around you. You wouldn't have any power. They would have out numbered you,"

     "You lie! You lie!" He covered his ears and said, "Lalalala! I can't hear you!"

     "This is why you couldn't rule on your own! You are still a child! An immature child who does stuff like this!"

     "Maybe so but I could still rule better than you ever could!"

     "IF YOU ARE JUST GOING TO BE A JEALOUS BRAT THEN YOU CAN LEAVE!"

    "I WILL!" He left and slammed the door.