Chapter 1

"Hiss" A cobra was slithering closer and closer. An evil glint was the serpent's beady little eyes. It's scales glistened in the little light there was. I want to scream for my guards but it is no use. The snake was sent here to kill me. As it got closer and closer my heart pounded faster and faster.  It stretched its jaws so I could see its pointy fangs. He was going to bite. 

    " Oh, Isis is this the end of me?" I whispered. 

     "Ankhtal, Ankhtal" the snake seemed to say every time it hissed. I braced myself for the bite. 

    "Ankhtal! Ankhtal!" I wake up to see my servant Apeta. She seemed concerned. "Oh thank Isis! I thought you had never woken up like you mother." Apeta reminded me of my mother's sad death.  She had a glass of wine then went to bed. She never woke up.  I got teary eyed.

     "Oh sorry, I didn't mean to remind you of your Ama." she whispered. 

     "It is not that," I reasured her, "I just had a bad dream." 

     "Well then, we must see the high priestess of Isis. She is wise. She will know what your dream means."  I let her dress me and style my wig. She put cobra bands around my upper arms. She lined my eyes with charcoal and she put green eye shadow on my eyelids.  We walked down the palace hallways. 

     "Well, well, it's the princess of princesses," sneered my younger sister. She is only eight, and she is very jealous that when father dies I will be queen. 

     "Aua!" Her nurse spoke sharply from behind her. "Don't be jealous or I will tell Father and he will have your head just like hid did with your sister Auait. Then you will never be able to speak your name to the gods and goddesses." I shuddered at the thought of Auait. She was the one who put poison into Ama's wine so that she could be next in line to the throne. Father was so angry. Ama was the love of his life. His head wife. He had her head chopped off like a criminal. He hates jealousy so he didn't even have her mummified. I can picture her rotting right now...

       "Well we better get going,"  Apeta said quickly making a motion for me to get moving. Aua's nurse shot her a grateful look. We kept going through the long palace hallways. 

     "What brings you to my temple, Princess?"  said Akarkhentkats, "Is something troubling you, Princess? 

         "I have been having this dream," soon I was telling her every feeling that I felt during the dream. The whole dream, it just felt good to let loose. 

       "Oh you poor child," Akarhenthaks averted her gaze and pulled at her dress, "Your path is not an easy one. Just have faith in your goddess Isis." 

       "Thank you," I say politely. I had this uneasy feeling that the dream meant something. Something important.