Chapter 4

It had been a few days after the man had been set free. I could feel the tension in the air. Aua looked at me different. I tried to focus on the reports but I couldn't focus. Not when I could feel her menacing gaze on the back of my neck. She had left the room about an hour ago but I felt uneasy. 

     "I need to take a walk." Without waiting for a response, I ran out of the room. I wasn't looking where I was going, I just ran. I knocked over unsuspecting guards, servants, and a priest. I stopped in front of a door to catch my breath. I heard my sister's voice from the room. She began to speak in a hushed voice, so I pressed my ear against the door.

     "Tonight at dinner I will present her a special wine," she said, "the wine will have been poisoned. When she dies you will take the the throne with me as your queen."

     "Excellent," said my brother.

     My heart was pounding so hard I thought they could hear it from inside the room. My siblings were plotting to murder me! I could order their execution right on the spot. However it might send a uproar with the people. I know some people wish that I would have been married to brother so he may rule. He seven but had many people supporting him. 

                                                                   ***    

     "You may now begin to eat!" my voice echoed throughout the great hall. I hoped no one could here how shaky my voice is.

    "Hold up!" Aua stood up with a glass off wine. "I have a gift for you." She licked her lips and presented me the glass. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest.

    "Dear sister, thank you, but I wish to share it with you. Please, have the first sip." I smiled. She looked nervous but she knew she couldn't object to me. She drank it and I pressed the glass to her mouth so she couldn't stop. She began to cough and I let go. The wine glass shattered on the floor as Aua screamed in agony.

     "I did it! (gasp) I tried to poison you! (gasp) I payed the price, (gasp) but I will not (gasp) go down for this (gasp) crime. Sekhemkhet helped with the plot so he could sit on the throne (gasp)." She rasped.

     "Guards get her to her room so she can rest. Arrest the second traitor. I will decide what happens to him from then on." I could barely speak I was in shock. I still hadn't fully processed it from this morning. I still couldn't believe they went through with it.

     "What will you do with Aua?" Apeta asked.

     "Poisoning herself is enough of a punishment," I said my eyes cold. "She won't make in through the night."
     This is where my down fall began.