Chapter 8

"I am sorry, your highness, but there is nothing I can do about your dreams. The gods remain silent," Akarkhentkats said. I was really disappointed and scared. What if these dreams persist. They felt so real. Like it could really happen. Akarkhentkats bowed and took Apeta aside.

"The gods have sent her visions of the future," she whispered. "She will never walk in the paradise of the afterlife or be remembered in history."

"How will she die?" Apeta asked. Akarkhentkats whispered something I couldn't make out. Apeta began to sob. She crumbled to the ground as if Akarkhentkats had punched her in the stomach.

"You mustn't alter her choices or try to stop her fate," Akarkhentkats said sharply. "She must make her own choices and walk her own path. There is no hope for her. Her fate was written in the stars a long time ago." Apeta didn't argue. She got up and smoothed her dress as if nothing happened. She bowed to Akarkhentkats and started walking towards me.

"You must be starved, come let us get you some food." We left the temple and headed back to my chambers. Cakes, fruit and wine were brought into my room. I knew my end may be near so I called on a slave to have a bite of each of cakes fruit and wine. He came in quickly bowed and had a bite of each. He took a sip of wine and immediately dropped it. The glass shattered on the ground and he began to moan. Apeta called for the doctor but it was too late and he died right before my eyes. A death that was meant for me.
"Your highness," The slave said pulling me back into reality. He was safe and I was safe. I relaxed.

"You may go," he bowed and left. I tried to enjoy my food but it was tasteless.