Chapter 2

=            "Ankhatal?"  Apeta asked, "Are you alright?"  I was staring off into space.

               "Oh I am just disappointed that Akarkhentkats didn't tell me what my dream meant," I replied. Apeta played with a braid from her wig and looked down.

               "Oh, I thought it was something else," Apeta mumbled. 

             "Apeta, what is going on? I said sternly. 

            "Your father is very ill.  He might die."  

            "Why didn't anyone tell me?" I cried, "I must see him!"  I started running to his room. Apeta was running behind me along with two guards but I didn't care. I must see my father before he dies. I must say goodbye. 

        I ran into his room. A doctor was there with him. Father's face was pale and thin. His eyes had no life. He was really thin. Almost as something was eating away at his insides. 

       "Snake bite," the doctor whispered. He held up my father's arm. Two holes were the fangs would have been. 

       "Ankhatal? Is that you?" my father rasped. "I am glad I can see you." 

     "Shh! Don't talk!" the doctor whispered. 

     "But there is so much to say!" he protested. "Take care of Egypt for me. Don't let Sekhemkhet try take over." He chuckled to himself, before the doctor gave him a stern look. "Oh I'm just teasing. You might need to put him in his place though." 

     I thought about Sekhemkhet. He is only five years old. Father decided that I would be the better choice for the next Pharaoh than a five year old. When he gets older he might get jealous. I shudder at the thought. Mama always told me that jealousy tears apart nations.

     "Oh I'm just teasing," he said, concern in his eyes. 

      "I understand," I replied. 

       "Stop!" Apeta burst in with my guard, Apu. "We don't want you to get sick too. He looks contagious.  

      "It is a snake bite!" the doctor snapped. "Now you have disturbed them saying good bye! Leave at once!" They stepped out looking embarrassed. 

        "Now, I know your destiny will be hard," father said. 

        "How do you know about my destiny?" I asked. 

        "I was told when you were a baby that you would be a ruler," Father said his eyes twinkling. Then his face fell when he said, "I was also told that you would have a hard destiny. You mustn't fall under the pressure. Egypt will be at the verge of collapse if you can't handle it. Any internal conflict could weaken the empire. Be strong and take care of my beautiful Egypt." 

       "Yes father," I whispered. I felt like the pressure was already being placed on my shoulders. "Good bye, I will miss you." 

      "Goodbye, I won't ever see you again when I'm gone. Thank you for..." father started to say

      "Won't I see you in the after life?" I asked. 

       "Oh Ankhatal! I will miss you so much. I won't ever see you again," this time he whispered it.  I slowly left the room and found Apeta waiting for me outside. 

      "It's okay to cry, if you need to cry," Apeta soothed. 

      "He said he would never see me again," I whispered, "He said I wouldn't see him in the after life." Before I knew it I started crying. 

     "You poor child," Apeta wrapped me in a big hug. 

     "It's okay to cry, just let it out," Apeta let go of me. "Dry your eyes child," she said sternly. "Egypt will want their new queen to look nice."  

      "Is father dead?" I asked. I was confused. I had just talked to him a minute ago. He couldn't died in that minute. 

      "No, he isn't dead yet. But he will be soon," Apeta explained. "Get ready for a funeral. Be prepared to be a ruler."   

                                                                                                     ...

      "Ankahatal! Ankahatal!" One of my handmaidens came running to me. Two weeks have gone by and Father was still suffering. 

        "Yes, Arat?" I asked softly. 

       "Your father," the words seemed heavy on her tongue. "He has passed." I hadn't seen him since we talked two weeks ago. The doctor said he was too weak to even focus on me. 

       "Great gods! Why did you take away my only family I have left!" I  crumpled to the floor.

        "You still have, Aua," Arat reminded me gently. She sat down on her knees next to me. She began to stroke my back. 

           "I meant my real family! Not my half sister! I meant the people who truly love and understand me!" I was crying but I didn't even care anymore. Nothing mattered right now. 

            Apeta came over and said, "We all are upset over the tragic death of your father." She helped me up. She embraced me and whispered, "Right now Egypt needs a strong leadership," she let go and looked at me. "We need you to be that strong leader." 

         "Dry your eyes," Arat spoke sharply. 

         "You will want to look nice for your coronation," Apeta said more excited. "A whole year of feasts and rituals!" 

 .