MICAH'S DREAM

JAPAN

Fukushima Prefecture

1257

The outside is chilled, and the ground is cool; November in Japan is nothing to sneeze at. Luckily it hasn't started snowing yet, which allows for Micah to have some quality bonding with his little sister Miriam, whom he calls Mia, which she hates. Under the bright, peaceable moonlight they sat comfortably on the low-lying benches beside the koi pond; in the middle of the garden at the back of the house. Mia was 8 years old and her brother was 11 years, the eldest of the five. They'd been talking for a good twenty minutes until they came to a sudden pause.

"Mother's been acting strange ever since she began teaching us magic." He said apprehensively, terrified at what her response might be. Micah and Mia had the closest relation of the five, due to their closeness in age.

"You've taken notice as well?" He nodded. Her response brought him a sense of relief because he felt as if he was going crazy. "It seems recent."

"She's been like this for around 2 years; it's only just now begun manifesting itself more potently. "Remember that night 2 years ago by the lake?"

"Yes??" She asked furrowing her brow.

"I don't know how to explain it, but something about that night didn't rest well with my spirit." She tilted her head.

"What're you saying?"

"Think back to that night." He turned to her. "Now analyze her method of speaking. The tone, body language, cadence and choice of words. Parallel it with all the other nights she's met with us." His eyes drift up to the moon. "She was ... "

"Scared." She said, finishing his sentence. "but of what." Her disposition grew still and quiet..."Maybe it was him?" She said unconfidently.

"Who?" He inquired.

"Who do you think?" She responded with shrewdness.

"Father..." His countenance took a turn for the worst. The problem with this theory is that they've never met their father, nor do they know anything about him because their mother has refused them knowledge of him.

"I don't know about that one, Mia." His disposition became less than pleasant. "We don't even know the man!" He said in heated opposition.

"Is it?!" She said defensively. "She never talks about him." More than any of the five, Micah missed his father the most. "...Ever." He fought to hold fast to the idea that his father was a good man.

"I know you don't care, but I do!" He beckoned aloud, shocking her with his raised tone. "I'd love to have known who he was, but she doesn't even have enough dignity to tell us his name!" His heart rate spiked, sending quakes throughout the garden.

"Otōto o ochitsukaseru." She grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly, a trick she learned for whenever he got heated. She'd find the pressure point in his hand and send a chilling stimulus through his nerves triggering him to become calm. Within seconds, it worked.

"Well, whoever or whatever she's afraid of, I'm sure she knows what to do if they ever show."

"I'm not so sure." Micah's tone shifted to a despondent one. A loud, powerful wind winds through the garden causing their hair to sway viciously in the wind. Mia was forced to fix her Kimono as it shifted as a result.

"Micah," she says worriedly. "What aren't you telling me?" He was silent. "Micah!" Hesitant though he was, he spoke.

"You know I'm the last to fall asleep, right? Well, I oft stroll the castle under the cover of darkness. For the past three nights, I've heard cries echoing from mom's chambers." Another powerful wing sweeps through the garden once more.

"What?!" Her heart plummeted into her chest, simultaneously a tear falls from his left eye.

"It breaks me every time." He looked up to the moon once more. "It's not like she's just shedding tears, she's weeping... bawling and I know it's because of us." The tear turned to tears and they both began crying, joining their hearts in grief. "Mia, I don't know who or what is after Mom, or what she's so terrified of, but it's starting to take its toll on her."

"I wish she'd talk to us." She said between tears. The brokenness in her voice was much more than she could bear. "She shouldn't have to bear all this by herself." Unexpectedly, the entire area was blanketed in a pink haze coupled with a descending stormy fury. "Mother," She sniffled. "deserves the world." She rests her head in his lap and broke down even further.

"Tranquila, mi hermana," Her tears filled the silence in the garden, strengthening the stormy winds. "Mother, I hope you know what's best." A golden winged serpent formed from particles of white light appeared in the sky. The boy's eyes flashed a golden yellow drawing the serpent to him and his sibling. It landed and coiled its body around them, swirling upwards around them until they vanished with its light.

In the distance at the window of the castle was their mother, who despite the distance, could hear everything they were saying. The reality that the deep love she had for her children was reciprocated tenfold broke her; her tears of grief and happiness were a testament to this.

Hateca's Dream

"I wish I could tell them, but it's better they never know." Suddenly, A faint red glow swirled in harmony next to the woman. Sluggishly, it began taking a shape, materializing into the shape of a voluptuous woman.

"Welcome sister." Her hair burned hotter than a thousand suns, glimmering like rich, fiery grain complimenting her fiery-red, tattered and close-fitting kimono, with a high slit paired with blood-red heels. Attached to her kimono was a hood of the same colour, perched slightly over her head, revealing chance glances of her blood-red eyes. "Have you located the Lutum Mortuorum?"

"Yes, sister." An ominous smile broke from under her hood. The moonlight illuminated one half of her body, making her smile even more sinister. "Everything will be in order when 'he' shows."

"And what of the seven? Have they been blessed?" Her sister nodded. "Excellent." She returned her eyes to the moon. "Dear sister, I fear, post the success of my plan, when it comes time for them to learn the truth, they will forgive me not." The woman joined her dejected sister at the window and glared at the moon with her.

"Three of you, and all three worry as much as the other." They both chuckled lightly. Amongst her many sisters, Kora was the one that understood her the most. "Rest your mind. Though rough and dusky may be the path you set them upon, in the end they will understand why. Trust yourself, sister." She rested her hand on her back and gently caressed it. "My nieces and nephews will be safe."

"For how long .........."