The Ocean's Heart (II)

The Prison of Oblivion
Third Person Perspective

The sky was awash with red and punctuated by vulterrors like stars in the night sky, yet both sisters were overcome with nothing but peace as they gazed. Darkness and doom elapsed across the atmosphere, slowly sifting any semblance of hope or joy that It could.

"Sister, do you ever think we'll be released?" The beautiful woman asked.

"I truly do not know. However, I know we will be visited - a lot sooner than we'd expect." However, the mystery woman knew that was not the question her sister was desirous of asking. "However, sister, do ask the true questions of your heart."

"It seems because of these leaf birthmarks we have on our wrists, you always know what I'm thinking - even when I never say it." The mystery woman smiled.

"I wouldn't be much of sister if I didn't." She crooned. "Powerless though I am, I have never needed my magic to know what you think or feel; I have always just known." The beautiful woman reached out for her sister's hand and drew her up to face her.

"You fought valiantly to acquire all the scrolls, yet never did you tell us why. Naturally, as your underl-"

"Do not refer to yourself as such!" She said in an angered and dismissive tone. "I detest when you belittle yourself. None of you - especially you - are my underlings." She breathed in a deep breath and exhaled at the realization that her sister was startled. "I'm sorry." She said throatily. "But to answer your question, I don't know." She sighed. "That's the truth. When we ascended to the heights of power in 804 M.D, I felt something calling to me one faithful night. It wanted me to find the scrolls but it never told me why. Even now, it calls to me in the night when I lay my head to sleep on the concrete of this godforsaken hellhole." The demonic squalls of the vulterrors echoed unendingly in the distance as the abysmal chill that skated on the breeze barreled toward the sisters. Their clothes rattled in the wind forcing them to bring their hands to their sides for warmth. "Yet, even though I had no understanding of why I hunted for the scrolls, I felt compelled to do it. It was as though ..."

"... It was your destiny." The beautiful woman finished.

"Yes. Even now, centuries later, I feel the pull of the voice from the great beyond and fear grips me." The mystery woman was wise - more so than those far older than her and there was never a day where she faltered in the wisdom she'd give. "That entity is at war and my soul is not convinced that it will emerge victorious. This war has and will continue to divide the worlds and tear them asunder. Both sides want the scrolls but they have differing reasons for gathering them."

"These "scrolls" what do they even do?"

"That much I wish I knew." She sighed. "But I know enough to know that somehow, we lie in the center of it." She turned to her sister. "You've always said you felt as though we were a part of something far greater than us. I feel it now and it scares me." Her sister rubs her thumb over her palm in a gentle circular motion.

"You worry too much, sister."

"I believe that's all I can do. Maybe our parents worried just as much." She cast her eyes to the red sky. "Sister, did I ever tell you that I was with child?" The mystery woman's sister chuckled sweetly.

"We look similar and possess the same birthmark and though we share no blood, I knew you were with child." Lightning flashed and bestowed some much-needed illumination to the dark world.

"I did what I had to ensure their survival, but at times, I wonder if the choices I made regarding them were motivated by fear, love or my own selfishness."

"Let me ask you one thing: are they safe?" A tear falls from her sister's cheek as the words of the question massaged her heart.

"Yes, they are. It was the sole thing with which I was concerned. I knew the council would be merciful to my kids, had I been captured with child. However, that harrowing pink-eyed shit-stain from hell would never bestow unto me any such mercy." Thunder doubled on the skyline as the winds terrorized the cold, barren wasteland upon which they sat. "Thus, I hid them away. For if they were ever to know I bore children, I feared the worst."

Her sister rose off the ground and walked toward the edge of the cliff, basking in the light drizzle of the dark rain and the violent breeze.

"All seven of us grew together in the dark forest, trained in the demonic and wiccan arts, groomed to be cruel and vicious." The wind's power grew, prompting her to speak louder.

"Yet, though we were grown as unit, you and I are the two with the greatest power and unique gifts. "My gift is hunting and combat but you have near bottomless magical reserves and a gift to see beyond whatever false personage and reputation any creature has formed for themself." The woman rose and walked to stand beside her sister. "The others see that creature just as you do; and then there's me ..." She sighed. "I do not see it, but I believe you."

"You are not alone in your blindness, sister. Not even the ones who gave them the power can see beyond the veil of light that encamps them. But soon they shall all see. Soon they will all see the truth behind their lies." Unexpectedly, Antwon, their brother, walked and stood next to them. He never greets them – he just stood there and casts his eyes over the horizon.

"Sisters, do you sense that something has shifted in the spirit realm?" He asked with a low voice. The wind howled irately.

"Yes, brother." They answered in eerie harmony.

"Something lies beyond the army of clouds in the distance. We hear the silence, we feel the prevailing winds of death and with them, freedom." They paused and in perfect unison, all three finished.

"Our freedom."