"He'll wake up in a few hours," the anesthesiologist informed me before she left the room. I nodded and instructed the nurses to clean up the room and kindly asked Ella to take Louis back to his hospital room. Giving one last look at Louis, I went to my office.

***

LOUIS' POV

"Ow," I winced right as my eyes opened. I was back in my room. Everything looked the same. My machines hadn't moved, my IV was still in my arm. But I felt different. There was a sharp pain in my chest, but I could feel my heart pulsing. It was beating faster than it had when I first got my pacemaker.

It's very simliar to a pacemaker. Harry words reminded me that all this ICD was doing was helping my heart beat. But I also remember when they told me that it was only for so long. My heart could only take so much.

This only discouraged me a little, as my heart was now beating at a normal rate, not the slow beat it usually goes at. 

I lifted up my hospital shirt all the way to my neck. Fortunately, I couldn't see where they cut it. It was covered by a white bandage the size of my palm. I placed my hand gently on the bandage, and squeezed my eye shut at the pain. Obviously, it was still tender.

"Do you feel okay?" I jumped at Harry's raspy voice, and turned my head towards the door. His tall frame barely fit in the doorway, the ceiling not that high about his head full of curls.

"I feel....okay. My chest hurts," I admitted, looking down at my hands. 

"Well that is a bit normal," Harry smiled sympathetically and gave me the sad eyes that he knew I hated. But at least he cared. My mum didn't care. She left me to fend for myself when she couldn't afford to pay for the constant stream of bills. She gave me some money and now I'm paying for them with the money I earned during my teenage years.

"I'm scared." I gulped, feeling tears coming. Harry wrapped his long arms around me.

"So scared," I added. 

"Don't be," He mumured against my hair, tickling my neck. It sent chills down my spine and made the corners of my mouth turn up. For once, my heart monitor didn't go crazy, and I didn't burst into a coughing fit. My heart beat normally. 

"Thank you," I whispered.

"For what?" Harry pulled back slightly, furrowing his brow.

"I would've been dead right now-" I began, but Harry cut me off.

"You're not going to die." His face was determined as he stared into my eyes. It took a lot of self control to not get lost in them and respond to him.

"How do you know that? You don't KNOW that someone is just going to die and give me their freaking heart, DO YOU?!" I raised my voice as tears threatened to slip past.

Harry flinched a bit at my words. I waited for him to say something, but he just sat there, staring at the wall behind me. His eyes were hurt, sad, and defeated. He knew what I said was true. He doesn't know. But I still felt bad.

"I'm sorry," I breathed, shaking my head and closing my eyes. Harry still didn't respond, just gulped and looked away.

"I really am sorry," I repeated, wanting him to speak.

"I know." I started crying as he got up off the bed and straightened his coat.

"Harry, please." i begged, wanting him to come sit back down and hug me and kiss me. This was the first time he didn't tell me I was going to be fine, that he was going to save me like he always does.

I don't think he can this time.

***

HARRY'S POV

"There's gotta be some way you can put him on top of the list. He's going to die for godsake." I growl into the phone.

Calling the American Heart Association was not the first thing that came to mind when I entered my office. But I was desperate for Louis to get a new heart, to live.

"I'm sorry, that's just not fair to the patients who have been waiting longer." 

"I'll pay you," I tried. 

"That won't be necessary. We'll do the best we can to find him a heart Dr. Styles. But we can't rearrange the list." I sighed.

"We'll try," the woman said quietly. I gulped, giving her a thank you as we hung up. 

***

I hope you guys liked that chapter. I can't wait to get further into this story. 

COMMENT! Please give feedback. We're trying to dedicate everybody that comments, just be patient my loves.

~Kayla