All That I Want: Zayn

Start from the beginning

My alarm seemed like it rang way too soon. It felt like I only slept for a few minutes. I rolled over in bed, careful not to disturb Hatchi. The LED lights of my clock read 11:45.

“Shit,” I muttered to myself as I got myself up. I tiptoed to the living room to check on Perrie. The cold wooden floor of our house was absolutely horrid on my bare feet. The faint sound of someone snoring echoed throughout the halls. I peered into the room. My angel was still asleep.

Stray locks of her hair covered her face and makeup from last night was still crusted on. Faint black rings heavily hung under her eyes. This was the image of pure exhaustion. There was no way that she was able to get up any time soon.

I was going to have to make breakfast for the both of us. This was going to be interesting. I found some slightly squashed apples and strawberries and cut them up into a small salad. This was probably the only thing I was able to make without doing much damage to the kitchen.

Next were the pancakes. I brought out a package of mix and started pouring water into it. I accidentally hit my elbow against the sink and poured a little too much water. I swore under my breath and poured in more mix. Unfortunately, that made the whole situation even worse because I but in way too much of the mix and now it was all screwed up. I poured it into the pan anyway…hopefully she wouldn’t mind.

 “Zayn?” Perrie groggily called from the couch.

“Morning, Perrie.” I smiled to myself and looked around at the breakfast that I was making. Pancakes were on the frying pan, I already finished with the little fruit salad and was currently looking for the butter. Damn, since when was our fridge so full of shit? Soon the aroma of burning batter floated into the kitchen.

“What are you- oh my God is that burning?!” Perrie cried.

I immediately jerked my head up and banged it against the fridge door. I swore and ran to the stove and attempted to save the poor hockey pucks that formed on my pan. But it was no use, I was going to have to find a new pan and start fresh.

Perrie walked over towards me and hugged me. “It’s alright, Zayn. It’s the thought that counts. I mean, for once you woke up faster than I. Then again it’s nearly twelve.”

I leaned down and quickly kissed her. “No, I’m making this and we’re going to enjoy it together. I know it probably won’t be as good as yours but we’ll manage.”

She smiled back and murmured,” I can always order take-out.”

“Just get dressed.”

She looked down and realized that she was still wearing the stuff from last night. “Shit!” and she ran down the hall to the bathroom. I chuckled to myself as the shower nozzle switched on and turned my attention back to cooking.

Once she was out of the shower, looking way more relaxed, I finished setting the table with the sad breakfast I made…complete with Chinese take-out. She smirked when she saw that I was already trying to hide the second batch of burnt pancakes in the trash. I was never a good cook, sometimes I even burnt toast. But I wouldn’t trade good kitchen skills for her laugh once she saw me awkwardly push the bags away.

“Did they really deliver that fast?” she asked and settled down in her seat.

“I had to do a bit of explaining so they would come faster, no big deal.” I shrugged and proceeded to serve her some of the steaming food. She thoughtfully chewed for a moment but then noticed the stalk of phonebooks laying on the counter.

“Zayn, what’re those phonebooks for?” she asked pointing to them.

“I was looking for an ice arena, for you know, skating.” She crinkled her eyebrows in confusion and looked at me with a strange face. We both knew that I have the elegance of a newborn giraffe.