20 . Lost Princesses and friends. (Zayden's POV)

Beginne am Anfang

So he was working for someone else who wanted my mate. I had to find out who that was.

I quickly masked my expression to show that I wasn't eavesdropping when he returned from the call.

"I have to go now mutt." He said in a cocky tone which made me growl and lunge at him but the cuffs restrained me. "Now now, be a good little doggy and don't try anything funny. There are guards surrounding every inch of this place and they wouldn't hesitate to shoot you with silver if you try to escape." Warfuck have me a warning look and wagged his finger in front of me as if warning a little kid, or a dog. He left before I could give him a piece of my mind, or claws.

Were all warlocks this annoying? Of course they are. It's in their blood.

I turned to the lady who was still looking at me so intensely that it made me fidget in my place. I mean, it was not like she was a Royal and my mate's mother. Note the sarcasm.

"Princess?" I tried to not make my voice sound like a dying fish.

"Call me Evaanka." She told me in a strong voice, her Russian accent seeping in at her name. It surprised me, the strength and confidence in her tone. Was this the same frail woman talking?

"Yes your high- uh, Evaanka." It certainly felt weird not calling her by her title. Royals to us were the equivalent to kings, queens, princesses and princes. They were revered and were said to be direct descendants of the Moon Goddess.

"Are you my daughter's mate?" She enquired, giving me a sharp look.

"Yes. I am." I reply with no hesitation which shocked myself and made my wolf run around in my head wagging his tail at me. I ignored him as usual.

Immediately I notice her eyes tearing up. "How is she? Is she safe?" Evaanka asked in a meek voice, like she was afraid to find out.

Shit. What do I say? That her daughter had run away from me because I was going to reject her? Or that I had insulted her lineage and called her a cheat? Or that she was kept in the dungeons and was just released?

In the end I settled with,

"She's fine. She's in my pack house right now." And she would stay there as I had made sure she couldn't escape this time.
Evaanka let out a sigh of relief at this and said, "I am sure you want to know the story behind me being her birth mother?"

Before I could reply, a female voice cut in."I would love a bed time story but I'm afraid now is not the time." I froze. That voice. The voice which had haunted my worst nightmares. The one voice which I thought I wouldn't hear again.

"Essie?" I asked in a daze, stating at the girl in front of me who was familiar yet so different from the last time I saw her. Her black hair was hung loosely in a ponytail and her face had lost its warmth, making her look fierce and bold, nothing like the little girl who hid behind me when scared. She stated back at me with cold and impassive look but the pain and longing in her eyes at the nickname have her away. She masked it with a glare.

"It's Espona to you, you filthy dog." She snapped, sending me a look so cruel that made me snap out of the daze I was in. Her words were like a slap to my face, bringing me to the reality that she was not the girl in pigtails anymore. She was just a stranger now.

I matched her glare with one of my own. "Why am I here? If you actually believe that Ionora's going to come here and save me, you are a fool. She hates my guts and wouldn't bother to risk her life for mine." I tell her. The fact that I hadn't lied one bit and the chance of her actually not coming sent a piercing feeling through me. But it soon went away when I realized that her coming here would but her in danger. I didn't want that. Ryder didn't want that.

Espona laughed. "Pure dumb wolf. Do you actually have so less a faith in the mate bond? If she doesn't come to you, her wolf surely will. With a little push from me of course." She grinned evilly and pulled out a blade.
Without warning, she slashed it across my arm which made me hiss in pain. The blade was coated in wolfsbane judging by the stinging pain and the nausea that accompanied it.

"What the fuck did you just do you bitch?"

She replied with a not so innocent smile and sat on the chair at the end of the room. "Now we wait for your mate to hop along."

"What makes you think my pack won't find me before that?"

"Well, I'm pretty sure you are too far for your mind-link to work and even if it did, they wouldn't find you. This house is surrounded by a magical barrier and only witches and half-witches like your mate can enter." She shrugged.

Guess curiosity did kill the cat then. Fuck my life.

--------

A/N: Holyyy fudgenuggets...... it's been almost a month since I last uploaded. I'm pretty sure half my readers have left thinking I'm done. Oh well.

Joking.
Come back :(

I've just been feeling off lately and the stress to study, coupled with my monthly hell has just taken a toll on me. But don't worry, I'm back on track now and will try my best to update twice or at least once a week.

I've been thinking of doing the vote for update thing as my book seriously lacks in votes and comments which just make me sad.
So starting today....

*drum rolls*

10 votes and 4 comments for an early update.

Until then, Night night and stay safe
-kris

Edited - 10/01/2019