{3}Valiant{Preparation For What's To Come}

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, a voice entered her mind, 'Relax. Just keep still. It'll only cause trouble so close your eyes and do as I say.' 

And although this voice, not her own and definitely not familiar, being male, scared her; she found herself closing her eyes and obeying. 

She felt, as the liquid seemed to be seeping through her skin like acid, but it didn't hurt, it was just numb.  

Suddenly the liquid drained, allowing her to wrench open the door. 

She breathed in fresh air.  

'Now smile, and walk back,' the voice commanded.  

She obeyed, walking towards the back of the hall, before passing her seat and a confused looking Rae and Sunshine.  

'Wait! What are you doing? Turn around and go back,' It commanded, but she didn't listen. Instead, she broke out into a sprint.  

The people all stared, but she didn't care. She just kept running. She had to keep moving. As she reached the back of the hall, her gaze fell upon a blonde haired, god of a male. Staring at her. It was the same guy as before. 

Her chocolate brown eyes flashed in understanding. 

'You figured it out, well done. I guess my ability to not be discovered lacks immensely.' 

The voice said, as she ran through the open doors, trying to escape. 

Everything looked new to her. Everything she was seeing became so much clearer. It was like she could pick a spot and become her own personal binoculars by zooming in to where ever she desired.  

Tears invaded her eyes as she realized just what was happening.  

She would be leaving soon. Her best friends would be leaving her. She was now a freak, and she would now be fighting in a war against aliens.  

She kept moving, she couldn't stop, if she stopped, it would be like admitting defeat; giving in. She wouldn't, not until she had nothing left. 

So she ran, and ran. She needed the feel of the cool air pressing against her skin to try to dull the tears that ran slowly down her face.  

'Run Valèrie, just run.' She told herself.  

She could feel the wolf in her emerging and suddenly, it wasn't her running. It was the wolf inside her, taking over. She felt her body change, 'It'll make me faster,' she told herself, feeling four padded feet now hitting the ground in a slow rhythmic beat. Thud, thud, thud. It was all that ran through her mind. The beating of feet that were no longer hers but ones she still controlled.  

She saw a glint as she passed glass, her reflection one that wasn't her own. 

A large, auburn wolf, with eyes of hazel.  

She stopped, transforming back into her human form. She lent against the glass and let her tears consume her.  

A while later she felt two pairs of arms wrap around her. She looked up into the eyes of Sunshine and Rae.  

"It'll be okay." Sunshine whispered, "You'll see," 

"Yeah," Valèrie laughed back without humour.  

"I'm sure it'll be dandy," she continued, straightening up.  

"Is it over?" She asked, looking down at them now. 

They both nodded. 

"Well," she said, whipping her eyes. 

"We'd better go and give Heather the goodbye she deserves?"