{8} Valiant {Taking Control}

Okay, so I previously posted this a couple of months back as "Missions and Recons" but then my mother's computer got stolen and the files were on there and so I got the files off Wattpad a while ago and the previous chapter 8 was pretty pathetic so I re-wrote the part about Valerie. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 8: Taking Control

"Zane, you've got to pay attention. The humans, they won't so easy on you. Zane? Zanerious!"

"What?" Zane yelled back, coming out of his sleepy daze.

"Zane," Zane's instructor, and grandpa, Garo sighed. "You can not afford to act so... so childish. You're getting sent out into the heart of the battle."

"Yes, but I'm being sent to try and change the humans' minds, am I not?"

"Yes, but what if they won't listen? You're going to fight at some stage. You know how the humans are," Garo, whose face had paled from the tan, bronze skin tone it had once held. His hair had changed from a light, gold to a dark, dried out yellow. The only thing that remained was his dark, blue and emerald green eyes, in which, the colours were constantly swimming.

The swimming eye colour was only one of the many things that set them and the humans apart. There were many differences, the Zachoria were stronger, faster and had many 'supernatural' powers. The Zachoria were taller, with larger eyes. They also had a larger colour range for their eyes, hair and skin tone.

Garo saw a younger image of himself in Zane. He did not encourage violence, and he knew his grandson felt the same, but their family had talent. Zane could have been the most promising fighter, if only he weren't such a dreamer.

Garo worried for his grandson, he hoped that his inability to concentrate and his complete and utter stubbornness would not get him killed.

"Zane," Garo said, interrupting their practice.

"Yes, master?" Zane asked, coming out of the defensive fighting stance he had previously held.

Garo smiled at the familiar name. "Whatever happens, just promise me that you'll be safe. Don't be reckless and take care of yourself and remember the eye sees but the heart knows."

It was now Zane's turn to smile. "Your words of wisdom make little sense but thank you for them all the same."

Garo laughed, "One day, son, you will learn and you will understand. Now come, we need to practice. Form your stance and then I want you to attack me."

After a while of training in which Garo would move swiftly out of the way of Zane's half hearted attacks, the great meshed doors that lead to the courtyard in which they stood swung open to reveal three army escorts dressed in loose navy overalls and combat boots. The one in the middle had three shiny silver medals hanging from the right side of his chest.

"Zanerious Bria," the middle army escort bellowed in a rough voice.

Zane and Garo turned their full attention to the army men. They bowed before Garo, a great, retired army general.

It was then that Garo turned to his grandson and grabbed him into a caring embrace, slipping something into his pocket.

Zane gave his grandfather a questioning look.

"It's for you," Garo whispered, "It'll bring you good luck."

Zane nodded before he joined the escort and carried on through their great home and out into the dry and barren land. They headed out, into the dying land of Ordox.

***

"I think that you'll find that our arrangements are sufficient for the need of the Zachorian people. I'm sure you'll understand that even a little bloodshed is to be expected," The General sneered in his head at the ignorance of his "Princess" who was sitting on a thrown in the centre of the room with the General a little in front discussing the tactics for battle that would soon commence.