Chapter 95~!

Liam yelled and didn't let go of the glaring soul on the verge of being dropped into a glass jar.  

Souls didn't talk. 

Ever. 

They were just balls of flame, that's all.  

None of them should have had eyes or the ability to speak from an unseen mouth.  

So, what in the world was going on here? 

"That's not normal!" Liam stated, a shocked expression morphing his previously cocky features into utter bewilderment.  

"Don't you dare drop me," Alice's soul snapped again quickly. "And put me back in my body, asshole!" 

Ignoring her protests, Liam tipped his hand and let the dark blue soul tumble into the jar. The lid followed it quickly and sealed her inside. 

"It's aware," Danny breathed in fascinated awe. He was at Liam's side in an instant and lifting the jar closer to the light. 

"Put her back!" Alfred demanded angrily. The sight of her lifeless shell of a body... It was nauseating. 

"It's actually aware," Danny stated with more volume and certainty this time. "I can't believe it!" 

"Shut up and put me back!" Alice's soul's muffled voice shouted from the other side of the confining glass.  

"Since when can any soul do that?" Lacey asked as she hung off of Danny's shoulder and peered at the jar intently.  

Those streaks of white flickered through the dancing flame of blue before vanishing once more. Did they mean something, perhaps? Souls were always a uniform color with hardly any variation, after all. 

What was white doing in a dark blue soul?  

"I have no idea," Danny answered his sister.  

Alfred was writhing on the declined table as he struggled to free himself. The task wasn't nearly so easy as it was for actors in the movies, of course. His super strength wasn't going to be enough without any good leverage.  

The ball of fire thrashed against the sides of the jar, turning the glass a sooty color for a few seconds before the haze cleared up. "Put me back, put me back right now!" she yelled at the top of her lungs. "I don't like this!" 

"Hmmm... I wonder..." Danny murmured mostly to himself as he turned the jar over and over in his hands. The blob of fire inside stayed upright the entire time as it shifted with the container.  

"What?" Lacey asked eagerly. "What is it?"  

"I'm thinking of a little experiment," Danny replied, grinning, well, devilishly. 

~~ 

Kadi had yet to awaken from her ordeal. The physical strain, not to mention the mental and magical strains, wasn't going to just go away so soon. She would need time to recover before she would be of any use in getting Alfred and Alice back.  

Scotland stayed by her side, watching over her intently. If there was any change in her state of being, he would know about it first. That was how he liked it. He liked knowing things.  

Which also meant he hated being kept in the dark.  

And boy, had Kadi kept him in the dark for the longest time.  

"Milo," Matthew said, the gratefulness in his tone apparent to all who heard him speak. Granted, there were few who could hear him. But I digress.