Chapter 32 - We Have To Go

"Are you fucking crazy woman?" He yells stalking back over to me. "I'm not going to feed you to the wolf! Do you think I could live with myself if that man got his hands on you or killed you?!"

"And if we fail?" I counter, standing my ground against the shaking that's begun in my knees. "If we die and Gavriel wins, then you've left Sophie and Elodie alone in the world to face his retaliation for helping us. Would you be able to live with yourself if Sophie was left without her father?"

Christian stops short at this, his eyes at war with the thoughts and emotions roiling behind them.

"We both know you should stay." I tell him gently lifting my hands up around his neck. "Only you can protect them."

"But who's going to protect you?" He asks barely above a whisper.

"I'll figure something out." I say with a shrug.

The smile tugging at Christian's beautiful lips doesn't touch his eyes. He's staring at me with such intensity it makes my body feel weak, but my mind is still strong and it's made up. He has to stay.

"If you go with me, Gavriel will kill you." I continue pressing my body to his. "He won't ask questions, he won't give second chances, he won't give us some speech like in some James Bond movie. He'll kill you because he knows it will break me."

"I can't-"

I cut Christian off by crushing my lips to his, giving in to the passion one last time. Even if I die, and I most likely will, I couldn't live happily in a world where he wasn't there. I would be a shell of my former self, sad and alone. Christian responds readily, his lips parting and searching mine for a way to quell the pain surging between us both.

"Dad?" Sophie calls out. "We have to go."

"I love you Bea." Christian tells me still clinging to my body, his voice so low it's just for us. "And when all this is over, I'm coming for you. I'll never stop coming for you, you know that."

"I hope not." I tell him with a sad smile.

Christian gives me instructions to the private airfield, which is only a few miles away and Gideon and I take off, leaving the others behind. It's a dinky little strip of land with a single hanger, but it holds the gulf stream that apparently my fiancé keeps on retainer.

To bad I'm going to die, I was going to marry rich. Damn it!!

Gideon looks positively terrified, but he's resigned himself to his fate. I guess we both have for that matter. 

We board without a word and the jet roars to life, sending us off into the sky. From forty-one thousand the ground looks like those dioramas you make in grade school, the houses and trees like tiny models you could reach down and pluck out with your fingers. I'm not sure why this thought is running through my head as I stare out the tinted windows at the world below.

Dawn has already begun and Gideon and I work to pull the blinds shut to block out what little sun could get through the windows. When we're done he's sitting across from me holding a can of ginger ale. I don't know where he found that.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask to fill the awkward silence.

"I'm thinking, it's weird that you and I are traveling together again. Just us. But this time we're headed towards the danger." His answer is simple, almost absent-minded in its delivery. "Are you scared?"

"A little." I admit.

"Well shit!" He exclaims this time looking at me like he might cry.

"What?"