Chapter 8 - Questions

For a few seconds I'm too shocked to even respond. How the hell does he know who I am? I've been made, and now I'm going to have to kill this kid before I even get the chance to ask about those nasty bruises. My body snaps into a defensive crouch and I ready myself to spring.

"Your Swedish accent was terrible by the way." He laughs to himself.

When he turns to see my reaction he looks resolved to his fate, as if he's ready to die. This has literally never happened to me. No mark has ever been prepared to die or guessed what I was about to do. This is fucking up my game plan.

I pause, hunched and ready to spring, and watch his face as he studies my eyes. He's not pleading, or trembling in fear, or wetting himself, in fact he's eerily calm, just observing my face passively.

"Alright, what the fuck?" I ask, relaxing from my pose and standing up. "How do you know who I am, or what I'm here to do? I could be here because I've secretly been stalking you."

"Well, you have been." He responds, looking as if that should be obvious.

"OK, bad example!" I snap back in disbelief. "But I could be here to date-rape you or something."

"But you're not." He says, perfectly clam.

"No, I'm not." This guy is messing with my head now. "But how could you possibly know who I am?"

"You're right, I have no idea who you are." He says, a faint smile creeping back onto his lips. "Shall we start over? You're clearly not Swedish. I'm Gideon, and you are?"

I hesitate, unsure of what this guy's trying to do. Is he attempting to delay the inevitable? Does he think if he keeps me talking he can somehow weasel his way out of dying?

"Look," Gideon sighs reading my uncertainty, "I'm not trying to stall you, or interfere with what you're here to do. I just wanted to know your name."

"You're freaking me out!" I explode my eyes narrowing to slits as my face tightens in frustration. "How do you know all this? What the hell is going on?"

"You're here to kill me and make it look like an accident right?" He asks cautiously. "I'm not sure why you were talking in a Swedish accent, but I'm not really one to critique someone's assassin skills."

I snap my mouth closed at this and evaluate him a little closer. Gideon knows more than any human should about me and what I'm here to do. In fact, he looks ok with my assignment. There doesn't seem to be any ulterior motives, or calculated moves, just a man ready to meet his fate.

This is really fucking with me.

"Who made you the expert on Swedish accents?" I finally blurt out.

"Swedish Chef from The Muppets, right?" He asks with that shy grin that melted the librarian the other day.

I nod yes.

"Yeah, the Swedish Chef's accent is Norwegian. Not a lot of people know that." He says with a chuckle, his green eyes softening as he watches my indignant response.

"Well, not a lot of people know about us." I sputter. "So...there."

"So there." He repeats evenly. "Are we going to get on with this? It's not that I'm excited to die, I was just under the impression that this was a faster process."

"I'm actually not supposed to talk to my marks." I tell him unsure of why I feel the need to be honest with this guy. "I just wanted to..."

"Wanted to what?" He asks, his eyebrow raising into his floppy hairline.