Chapter 17 - A Complication

Surprisingly doctor Blanc makes house calls, and at seven PM on the button our doorbell rings out. Gideon's head snaps up as I make my way over to the door, not really knowing what to expect.

I hope we can trust this guy.

When I open the door I am faced with one of the most handsome older vampires I have ever seen. With rich brown hair that's got wisps of grey and a tiny amount of chin stubble, he stands at least a head taller than either of us. Doctor Blanc has an easy roguish smile, as if he's hinting at some inside joke that he's unwilling to share. If I had to guess, I would say the man was turned in his late forties, but he clearly kept himself in pique physical condition in his human life.

An interesting vampire fact: We maintain the body type we had in our human lives when we are reborn as vampires. We do not magically become more beautiful or have our scars and imperfections healed into some flawless immortalized being. If you were a chubby guy with thinning hair, you will forever been frozen that way on the day of your resurrection. That's why Pembroke branded me the night she turned me, so that I would forever be marked a Dark Angel.

"Good evening." Doctor Blanc says in a lulling French accent.

"Doctor Blanc?" I ask (just in case).

"Oui." He answers flashing a mouthful of gleaming teeth.

"Wont you please come inside?" Inviting him in is crucial.

He nods appreciatively and steps over the threshold with a grin and takes in the room before offering Gideon a hand to shake.

"You must be Christian's runaways." He says.

"Gideon." Gideon offers, his eyes wide in fascination. "Excuse my rudeness, but are you a vampire too?"

"I am." The doctor answers with a chuckle. "Christian and I have been good friends since he changed me."

"I see." I tell him while gesturing to offer him a seat in the living room.

"How long will the two of you be in town for?" Doctor Blanc gets right to the point.

"A week, tops." I answer plainly. "We are off to Vienna next."

"To see the queen?" He asks raising one brow in surprise.

"What queen?" Gideon asks, totally lost.

"Despite what humans might think," Blanc replies taking a seat on one of the couches, "we are not total savages, like many societies, we have a monarchy."

"With a court and jesters and couturiers?" Gideon is obviously fascinated with this revelation.

"No jesters." I respond quickly.

"Well, an argument could be made for some." Blanc says with another chortle. "But yes, very similar to traditional monarchies, our queen holds court and has numerous couturiers."

"I thought they were her harem?" I shoot back, this time getting a wicked snicker out of Blanc.

"I suppose one could look at them that way, but it isn't for me to judge." He replies dismissively.

How very European of him.

"Wait, wait, wait! So you guys are telling me that in addition to the vampire assassins working for the American government, there's also a queen who rules over all of you?" Gideon looks to be beside himself with curiosity now.

"Not many of our kind know about the Dark Angels, so I would be careful who you mention that around." Doctor Blanc says in a measured tone and looking to me for support. "But yes, our queen rules our kind and those who would go against her laws are subject to her justice."