Chapter 11 - Going Rogue

The train ride back to New York was painful. Gideon was asleep on his feet and since I can't travel by day, we've been on the run since I made the most dangerous decision of my vampire life. I've at least got to keep him alive until I know what's going on.

I've always respected the Gavriel and the Dark Angel program. It has been an honor to serve alongside some of the most lethal and talented of our kind while we rid the world of evil. But this? This is something entirely different. If what Gideon told me is true, then Gavriel is possibly in the pocket of some very dangerous people.

"Where are we?" Gideon yawns from his seat.

"We're almost to my apartment." I hiss in a low voice.

I don't know why I'm trying to be so secretive, it's three AM and no one is on the train right now besides us and a few homeless guys looking for somewhere warm to sleep.

Gideon has yawned twelve times since we got on this train and it's really starting to get on my nerves. It's been a long time since I've had to put up with humans and their little idiosyncrasies. I hope I can keep my cool. He only had time to shove a change of clothes, some underwear, and a toothbrush in his bag before we bolted into the night. We made the last train out of Boston by less than a minute, neither of us bothering with tickets. Thankfully all the night guards were either sleeping or watching TV, so it was a pretty easy escape all things considered.

We've got less than forty-eight hours before this job expires and Gavriel starts hunting for us both. Eventually he's going to be alerted by the Four Seasons that I haven't checked out of my room and then all hell is going to break loose (literally).

"Why are we going back to your place?" Gideon whispers back a look of panic spreading across his features.

"Because I have to feed." I snap. "And I have to get my cat."

"You have a cat?"

"Yes I have a cat." Gawd, this kid is really getting on my last nerve. "I'm going to ask a friend to take care of him."

"Can you trust this friend?" Gideon is obviously as worried as I am at the hellfire that's about to rain down on us.

"Yes, and this friend is also going to help us hide." I answer curtly.

At least, I hope he is.

Christian isn't going to be too happy that I'm going on the run with a mark, but if there's anyone who can help us disappear, it's him. Besides, he owes me a few favors.

"How are you going to keep yourself fed while we're on the run?" Gideon asks with a repressed shudder.

"Well I'm not going to snack on you, if that's what you're asking." I answer back rolling my eyes. "I'm going to have to figure that out."

Gideon's eyes grow to the size of saucers and then he shrinks back into his seat, lost in thought. He's obviously running on empty and scared. I'm scared shitless myself.

Dark Angels who go rogue are rare, so much so that I've never seen or heard of one in my lifetime. There was a pretty famous case in the fifties of one of us questioning the program, but I heard he was making a power play that was quashed before it even began. I know what will happen to me if I'm caught. Gavriel will put a stake through my heart or burn me alive, neither of which sounds particularly appealing.

I practically have to yank Gideon out of the train and hold him up on his feet to get him to my place. We have to get to Christian's before dawn to beg for his help, so I'm hustling him as fast as I can. Finally I give up and hoist Gideon over my shoulder to run the rest of the way home. He's asleep and snoring slightly in my ear when I arrive at my apartment.