Chapter 7 - Invited

Monday evening Gideon is studying in the Dewey library again (he's nothing if not consistent). This time however, I've formulated my plan to approach him. I'm a lonely Swedish foreign exchange student, looking for companionship and conversation.

It won't be too hard to get him to chat, but getting him talking about personal subjects might be a bit tricky.

Another fun fact about vampires: Not all of us have the power to control minds, despite what the recent rash of television shows about our kind electing to go to human high schools might have you think (seriously, why would anyone want to go back to high school over and over? That sounds like hell). In fact, very few of us have the power to actually influence and manipulate human thoughts, and in the rarest of cases, the minds of other vampires. What we can all do is hypnotize our prey for a certain amount of time, rendering them momentarily enthralled with our visage, which helps the less talented hunters.

Personally, I don't like to call on my powers of hypnosis, mostly because I feel ridiculous when fixing my sights on someone. Have you ever seen the overly attached girlfriend meme? That's what I feel like when unleashing my influence over someone else's mind to temporarily dazzle them into submission. 

In my opinion we just look cray, and if you can't hunt the old fashion way, then maybe you should start brushing up on other skills

Gideon isn't alone in the library tonight, which is perfect. I'll unleash my nut-job-ex-girlfriend powers and draw him into an intimate whispered conversation long enough for him to think he might get lucky if he asks me over to his apartment. Once inside, I can ask the questions I want to in an environment where he feels comfortable. Then, after I know what it is he did, I'll drain his life. Easy-peasy. 

All I have to do is wait until Gideon gets up to take a drink of water and I can approach him...which is right now, apparently.

Gideon leans down over the silver fountain, one hand holding his floppy hair out of the way, and the other controlling the stream of water. He closes his eyes whenever he takes a drink, which is kind of cute.

Oh, what the hell am I saying?

He's attractive for a human sure, but I can't look at a mark like that.

Slowly I approach, smoothing my t-shirt and straightening the empty backpack I've got slung casually over my shoulder. Gideon's eyes flash upward and as soon as he sees me, he straightens up with a welcoming grin.

"Bennifer!" He exclaims in a hushed tone. "It's nice to see you again."

"Nice to see you too." I say doing my best impression of the Swedish Chef (really my only reference point for this accent).

He looks taken aback for a second, as if he has to process what I just said before recovering his warm smile that just barely touches his eyes.

"Are you here studying?" He asks politely glancing at my backpack.