PART 14, SECTION 9

Ian rushed me out of that macabre hospital as quickly as possible.

After his initial burst of surprise and elation, now he was worried. He helped me into the car's front seat very carefully. As he drove out of the hospital, he kept asking me, "You're sure the pain is lessening?"

"Yes," I confirmed. "I'm still getting jolts, but they're much better than before."

"I don't know why you're feeling that way, Ash. I honestly don't understand why you're feeling pain like this. I've never heard of a pregnancy like that at all."

I was worried and confused too, especially considering the intensity of the pain I'd felt the night before, but I really was feeling better. Whatever it was seemed to be passing.

"I'm TGVx-positive," I said. "I'm dead. Remember? It's bound to be an unusual, complicated pregnancy."

Ian drove all the way out to the ocean and parked by the beach. We needed a quiet place to sort through what this was going to mean. He parked where we could see the breaking waves.

"Ash," he said earnestly. "I honestly have no idea how this is going to work. It's totally without precedent. I don't know if your pains will come back. Or what the labor will be like. I don't even know if the baby will have TGVx, like us, or not."

"Does it matter?"

"It matters if you're in danger," he said. "I can't lose you."

I took his hand and forced him to look at me.

"Just tell me this," I whispered. "How does the idea of having a child with me make you feel."

He looked out at the ocean and thought about this.

"Wonderful," he said. "Happier than I'd ever thought I'd feel about anything ever again."

I leaned over the seat and wrapped my arms around his shoulders.

"Me too," I said. "Me too." I started to cry. "The pain last night was awful. And if it comes back, yes, it's going to suck. Really, really bad. But if it does, I'll survive. Just like this time. I'm actually feeling really great now. I have a good feeling about this. I really think I'm going to be okay. Whatever happens, it's worth it. Let's have a whole family!" I laughed, but I was serious. "We're not going to be the last human beings on earth anymore! We know that for sure now. You don't know how happy that makes me feel."

"I love you, Ash," Ian said. "Really." He turned on the car. "I'm scared to death, but I'm going to do everything to make sure you're okay. First, I'm going to bring that ultrasound machine up to the cottage so we can keep monitoring you. I'm going to . . ."

I smiled while Ian listed all of the ways he was going to worry over me in the next few months before I gave birth. I was really scared too, but I felt like I was in the best possible hands. And I really was happy. I rolled the window down and felt the fresh ocean air play through my hair. I was feeling more hopeful than I'd ever felt. I imagined having more children and raising a family. I imagined growing old with Ian as our children began their own lives. . .

And then, suddenly, I felt awful.

What had I been thinking? Why had I been so happy?

We'd been searching for other survivors for months without any sign that anyone else existed, anywhere. If we had children, what kind of life would they lead in an empty world? They would never find love, like we had. And what if this one unexpected pregnancy was the only one that I could ever hope for? Our child would be born and grow up while Ian and I grew older. Then, when we were gone, that child could be left all alone, the last living human. How could I put anyone through an experience like that? What kind of parents would we be?

We had to find other survivors. We had to.

"Ian," I said. "We have to go to City Hall, okay?"

"City Hall?"

"Yeah," I insisted. "City Hall. Like, right now."

He gave me an alarmed, quizzical look. "Ashley, I don't really think getting married is a possibility any more, if that's what you . . . "

I laughed.

"No," I said. "I know you love me, don't worry. It's not that. It's just that we're going to need a big freaking light."

"A light?"

"You'll see."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing. -ab