PART 10, SECTION 3

I tore aside the blanket covering Chris's doorway.

He was on the floor in his lab coat, face down, one booted foot propped up against the stone wall.

"Chris!" I shook his shoulder.

He was passed out. I thought his head was on a pillow, but when I moved aside his fur cowboy hat, I saw that it was resting on an empty vodka bottle.

I shouted right into his ear. "Chris!"

He moaned. Slowly he turned and squinted up at me. Then he grabbed his head and moaned again.

"What time is . . ."

"It doesn't matter. And I don't care how hung over you are right now. You have to wake up. Listen! What do you hear?"

Chris sat up and reached for a water bottle. It was empty. He shook it remorsefully.

"Chris!" I snatched the bottle from his loose grip and forced him to look up at me. "Listen!"

He looked to the window, confused.

"Ash, what are you talking about. . . "

From Chris's room, the simpering murmur was just audible enough to be unmistakable. Finally, he heard what I was hearing.

"Is that . . . ?" He looked at me, horrified. "Are they all . . . ?"

"Yup," I said. "They're all—how do you like to put it? Knocking boots? Humpty dumpty, or whatever? Well, yeah. Sure sounds like it, doesn't it?"

"Oh. Crap."

Chris stumbled to his feet.

"If this thing spreads here . . . ?" He gave me a horrified look. "Ash, we don't even have enough antibiotics to . . ."

He raced out the door before finishing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;) xxBailey