PART 9, AUTHOR'S NOTE - 2/8/15, 2:44pm

The good news—if this counts as "good news"—is that while I was writing Part 8, I figured out which of my followers' accounts is the cop's.

His screen name is "chppi82." When I was scanning through my list of followers, I almost didn't spot it. Then I realized what it stood for: "Colorado Highway Patrol Private Investigator," and I guess the "82" must mean he was born in 1982. You'd think a private investigator would be smart enough to come up with a less conspicuous name. But because he wasn't, I was able to contact Wattpad support, explain the situation, and they selectively blocked him from viewing all of these "Author's Note" posts while still letting him see only the Dead in Bed posts. They were actually really helpful.

So, now that the cop can't see what I'm writing here, I want to tell you guys that I've made a decision.

I'm not going to write another Dead in Bed part until I know that Kyle's okay. I'm totally freaking out about what the cop may have done to him. And I'm not going to wait around starving to death, either. I'm going to fight back. Some of you have suggested this, and some of you have cautioned against it, but I've decided that I have to take the risk. I have an empty dinner plate now, which I can use as a blunt object. I know I won't be able to do much but slow him down, at best. But if I'm lucky, I'll buy myself enough time to get out of this room and find Kyle. I just have to know whether he's okay or not.

Wish me luck.