PART 14, SECTION 5

Just like every night, by the time Ian and I collapsed atop one another, we had no idea how late it had gotten. And just like always, we didn't care.

We showered together beneath the solar tap, dressed, and grilled our typical late-night dinner of fish and vegetables on the cottage's porch. Afterward, I curled up in Ian's lap and lay my head on his chest. We both stared out at the deep darkness that consumed the city and began our nightly vigil, searching for any sign of light--any sign of humanity. 

As usual, we saw nothing but miles and miles of intense gray.

Beneath my ear, Ian's heart beat steadily onward.

Normally we talked while we searched for lights in the valley. We talked about everything. We talked about our old life a lot, never shying away from remembering Danielle and Tyler and Haley; we'd both loved them all in our own ways, and we mourned for them together. In a strange way it felt as though our coming together was a natural continuation of our family. We talked about the possible ways that others besides us may have survived the plague, and what they would do and where they would go to search for others like us. We talked about simple, practical things, like what we'd grow next in the garden plot we'd made on the hillside, or whether or not to finally get a generator instead of using the candles and firelight we'd grown used to.

But, tonight, I'd started to feel a little strange.

Some faint but odd sensation was spreading through my stomach and up my spine. It wasn't that uncomfortable, but I'd never felt it before. I wondered if I was coming down with something.

"You're quiet tonight," Ian said. He kissed me on top of the head. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, fine," I said. "Maybe I'm getting a cold or something, that's all."

Ian felt my forehead.

"Hmmmm. . . ."

Neither of us had ever felt sick since we'd gotten TGVx. Never once.

"I'll be fine," I snuggled into his lap.

Ian hugged me closer.

"Tell me if you feel any worse."

We continued staring out into the dark valley, searching for any flashes of light.

A jagged pain shot through my abdomen.

I'd never felt anything like it before. I felt like I'd been sliced in half by an electric fan at warp speed.

The pain was so intense that I doubled over and toppled from Ian's lap.

"Ashley!" Ian shoved aside the chair and leaned over me. "What happened? What is it?"

I was in so much pain that I couldn't even form words to respond.

"Ashley!" Ian shouted again, now with a distinct note of panic.

An avalanche of nausea tumbled through me, suddenly, and I threw up.

Ian lifted me and rushed me to the bathroom. I doubled over again and I threw up into the toilet.

Then I fell back against Ian, trying to catch my breath. Finally, I filled my lungs enough to cry out in pain. It felt like broken glass was passing through my gut.

"What is it?" Ian asked frantically, wiping my face. "Tell me what you're feeling."

"My stomach feels like it's in a blender and vice all at once," I managed to say.

I heaved again over the toilet, but nothing was left in my stomach.

Another quake of searing pain ripped through my gut.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing. -ab