Chapter 4

I'm a coward

I'm a coward. There. I said it. I will meet those guys but... It's like I need a safety blanket to do it. That's why I'm standing behind Severus'  back.  I never, in the week I've known the man, thought that I would put the words ' safety blanket' and his name in the same sentence. Let's be honest here. My friend does not look warm, safe or fun to cuddle with. The first time I met him, I curled up into a ball in a corner and waited for Mister Dumbledore to come back. His eyes went all misty then and he crouched to my level and started to speak very softly to me like I was a wounded animal. I kind of was, in a way. He told me that he would never hurt me and that 'Dumbledore' sent him to get me to his office because he had an unexpected visitor from the Ministry of Magic and couldn't do it himself. Severus then made a bunch of daisies appear in a crystal vase on one of my common room's table. He was so gentle and genuine and it did not seem like he was used to acting this way, so I thought it was a very special moment that I had to cherish my whole life. I, Sang Sorenson, had made a new friend and he cared enough to try to reassure me and to make me smile.

From behind my tall and dark haired safety blanket, I'm waiting for the door to open again. Severus opens it with a flick of his wand and an 'Alohomora' spell. All I can see now is a lot of men tumbling down on each other in a big pile of tousled hair, muscled arms, and grunts. I want to laugh and stare too. The picture is funny but also quite appealing and as each of their faces comes up, I feel a blush rising on my cheeks. By Merlin's Monday knickers! They're all gorgeous! Did they fall in the Beautification Potion when they were babies?  I don't know any wizard as handsome as they are. I don't know many people but  I certainly know that this much handsomeness isn't common. My eyes are huge, trying to see every last one of them in their entire being while they start getting up from the pile of human hotness. I must have hurt my friend because he flinches and I have to release my fingers from gripping his shoulders tightly. 

Suddenly, Severus produces a Quidditch bat out of thin air and starts to hit it in the palm of his hand while looking at the men. 

" This young lady is like a daughter to me so if I hear that you hurt her in any possible way, I will be glad to show you how I can use your heads as bludgers with this very solid bat. Of course, I can also prepare a potion that would shrink your male appendages until you get banned from the boys' bathroom. " 

I frown at that and step away from him. I feel all warm inside that he wants to protect me and also because of what he said I meant for him. I'm a little annoyed too. I mean, those men don't look too frightening and if Mister Dumbledore called them to work for him and told me that they would make good friends for me, it must mean that they don't deserve all that Severus said he would do to them, surely? I'm frowning now, reviewing in my head what he said.

" What's a male appendage? "

Sometimes, I say the stupidest things... It takes me exactly two seconds to understand and one more to regret what I asked. They all look at me, surprised with their mouths open. Dumbledore, who was drinking some pumpkin juice from a gold goblet by the table, spits everything on the floor.