[Part Six] Bound to the City's Vampire Master

Start from the beginning

The first word that passed through my mind was beautiful. Not handsome or... well, hot, as I would describe Ryder-but just beautiful.

He had the loveliest walnut shaped eyes that were like blue aqua jewels. Short blond hair and a well structured face, a high nose, and ideally shaped lips... there was no femininity in his features, but they were all soft nonetheless. He was dressed in a dark military coat and loafers. Collar shirt and tie underneath.

But there was something dark to him. Despite all the softness that his appearance imparted to him, I knew there was extreme power. Something more.

He kneeled down next to me and pressed a bottle to my lips.

"You're so beautiful," I whispered.

The man pursed his lips, looking grim. "You're drunk from shock and the loss of blood. Drink this."

I took a small gulp. Everything became clearer suddenly, as though a hazy film was lifted from my mind. All the events came rushing back to me, so I leaned over and began to heave up bile. That tore my back up, and I screamed from the pain. I had no more tears to cry, though.

The man stood up, dusting his coat. "You're dying. What I gave you has strengthened you, but it is a false strength, and you're dying from the blood loss."

"No shit Sherlock," I said, wiping my mouth with my arm. I sat up, but no longer against the tree. I was taking short and deep breaths now.

"Do you want to live?" he asked me, staring straight into my own eyes.

I thought about it. I really thought about it. What if perpetual darkness, nothingness awaits me after death? Nothing, but just my own consciousness. And what about...[I gritted my teeth here] Abel? I needed him dead. I needed him dead. I was going to tear the head off of that bastard. But I was weak. I knew that now.

"Power..." I whispered. "Can you give me power? Make me stronger?"

Kiel growled. "How dare you ask of such a thing from-"

The man quieted him. "Wait."

He looked searchingly into my eyes. I didn't turn away; instead I stared boldly and defiantly back into his.

"I'll make you a deal," he said softly. "I'm a fair person. I'm no generous person, no-I shall not lie. But I am fair. In exchange for life and some power, my blood...you'll swear eternal servitude to me. You'll be mine, and only mine. But hear this; if in any way you displease me, I will kill you. It won't be a merciful death-I'll gut you and strangle you with your own innards. I won't be crossed."

I shivered. "I don't care. Anything to make me stronger. I want Abel DEAD."

"My lord-" Kiel gasped. "She's just a human girl of no account. Why would you want to give her your ancient blood? For centuries you've kept it to yourself and now you're going to give it to someone as worthless as-"

"I'm not going to give her much, just a sip," he said calmly. "It'll give her power. Make her stronger than the normal vampires, but you, child... if you want to be stronger, you'll have to find it yourself. Abel is powerful. Almost as powerful as I am. He's ancient, but he's very strong among the ancients-age does not make you powerful alone-hence why he is also the City Master of Santa Monica."

"Just do it," I said angrily, ignoring the wounds on my back.

"Abel has claimed her already," Kiel protested.

"The wounds are still fresh. It'll close with my blood, and I will claim her another time."

He took a small knife from within his coat pocket and made a cut on his wrist. After he shrugged off his coat and draped my naked body in it, he bent his head low and drank from his wrist. The man then leaned towards me. He smelled of wine. Red wine.

His eyes were completely black now, and I gasped as his lips collided with mine in a soft kiss. His tongue probed my lips, parting them, and I felt the hot silky rush of blood flood my mouth.

A wash of relief flooded over me, and the pain of my wounds abated. I actually felt the wounds closing, my damaged back reconstructing itself. I felt stronger now-my fatigued limbs being invigorated by his blood that coursed through my veins. It was so sweet. I could taste the power in it.

Then he forcefully broke the kiss. My eyes were closed now, but my lips were still searching for him; searching for more of his blood.

And then I heard Ryder's voice. And I saw Ryder's face. I knew he saw the kiss.

Ryder.

Ryder was standing there, about three yards away. Tired and weary he looked, but alert. He had one heavily wounded arm, his clothes soaked in blood that I knew wasn't his, but he had his rifle nonetheless aimed straight at the man.

He wasn't even looking at me, as though he was trying to avoid my eyes.

"SINCLAIR!" he roared. And on his face was a look of rage, hurt, and something more...