Ice

Mark's POV

I had just finished editing my video and decided to go and cook some lunch. I left my recording room and made my way downstairs. I looked in the living room to see something I thought I'd never see. Amy had Azie in her arms, rocking her back and forth slowly while stroking her hair. Azie was sleeping away. I smile at the sight. Amy sees me and blushes. I walk up to her.

"Think she's starting to like you." I say to her.

She smiles.

"She just walked up to me and rest her head on my knees so I picked her up and she fell asleep." She says.

"She's such a cutie!" I say.

Amy nods.

"I was about to make dinner, anything you particularly want?" I ask.

She shakes her head.

"Anything will be fine for me." She says.

I nod. Just as I was about to get up, my phone pings. I look at it and see a message from my brother, Tom.

Tom: Hey, bro! Me and the family are in L.A and want to know if you would like to come on a walk with us?

Mark: That would be great! We'll get ready now...where do you wanna meet?

Tom: Meet at the cafe downtime street from you.

Mark: Ok, see you there!

I turned to Amy.

"Well, I think dinner will have to wait a while. Tom has invited us to join the walk they're going on." I say.

"That sounds nice. All we need to do now is wake Azie up." She says.

I get down on my knees on the floor and stroked Azie's cheek. Her eyes open and she smiles when she sees me.

"Wake up, Azie-Boo. We're going on a family walk." I say.

She yawns and sits up. She realises she's still on Amy's lap and jumps off and blushes. Me and Amy laugh and she runs off to get on her coat and boots. Me and Amy do the same. It's very icy in L.A so we got our winter stuff on. We then made our way to the cafe.

We've been on this walk for about an hour. We've been walking through a forest until we came upon a great big lake. Well...once was a lake, now a frozen lake. The kids saw this and begged us to go ice skating on it. The ice did look absolutely frozen so me and Tom decided to test it. We stepped onto the ice and walked around. The ice surprisingly held our weight, so it was safe for the kids to go on. Before long, we were all on the ice, apart from my Mom who sat on a bench beside the lake watching us all. Azie was skating around the lake with her favourite cousins. Everybody seemed to be having a good time. Even though we didn't have any skates on, it was still the same skating without them on. We all then decided on a game. The game was to go one by one from one end of the lake to the other without slipping and falling over. Me and Tom went first, followed by Amy and my nieces and nephews. Azie's turn was up. She was doing well on the ice for a 3 year old. That's because I had taken her ice skating once when we went to Ohio for Christmas, so she kinda getting the skills. When she was halfway over the lake, I all of a sudden got a weird feeling in my gut. I don't know why, it just appeared out of nowhere. That's when I heard cracking. It started from the end I was standing by and travelling to the centre of the lake...right where Azie was standing...

Azie's POV

I heard the sound of cracking coming towards me. I couldn't see any cracks but I knew it was getting closer and closer to me. I stood completely still, not knowing what to do. Everybody now could hear the cracking. I begin to panic and so did everybody else. Daddy goes to the edge of the lake.

"Azie, stay exactly where you are.I'm gonna come and get you." He says.

I nod and stayed where I was. Thats when a few metres from me, ice began to break. I begin to panic even more. Daddy started to move faster across the ice. I then hear the cracking move around where I was standing, then it stopped. Daddy stops in his tracks, afraid that if he moved even closer to me, the ice beneath me would break. Everything was silent. Before anyone could talk, more ice began to break behind me and began to break towards me.

"AZIE RUN!" Daddy shouts.

I ran towards him while he started to ran to me, in hoping he could pick me up and run back towards land. I ran and ran until the ice beneath completely breaks, sending me into the freezing lake. My ears were now blocked due to the water but I could hear the faints sounds of Daddy's scream. I used all my strength to try and swim up but I could feel myself drowning by the minute. I was running out of oxygen and I could no longer feel my body. Everything was getting dark and I was loosing sight of everything. I felt tired and I soon gave up fighting and let my lifeless body do its job.

Mark's POV

I watched as Azie fell through the ice. I ran towards her and went on my stomach and put my hands in the lake, trying desperately to grab Azie, but I couldn't feel anything. That's when I made a decision...I had to go in after her. Without any warning, I plunged into the water, hearing the screams and shouts of my family. I swam and looked everywhere to find Azie. I then saw her lifeless body slowly drowning to the lake floor. I swam to her and grabbed her, pulling her to my chest and started to swim back to land. But there was a problem, the hole had already frozen back up. I was running out of oxygen by this point so I banged on the ice, hoping my family could see the danger we was in. I then heard large rocks being thrown at the ice. The ice smashed and I pulled myself out with the help of Tom. I pulled Azie beside me. I looked at my brother to see him and the rest of the adults had held onto each other's arms to create a line across the lake. We all managed to get back to the side of the lake and my Mom immediately wrapped us in blankets. I ran up to Azie. Her lips were blue, her face was red and her fingers were starting to swell due to the cold. But there was one thing...she wasn't waking up. My Mom had already called the Ambulance so they arrived quickly. They wrapped me and Azie up in more blankets and sat us in the Ambulance. Azie had an oxygen mask over her mouth and nose to help her to keep breathing. Her heart was beating slow on the monitor.

Was my little girl going to make it?