Chapter 2: Before The Morning (Nagisa's POV)

The time was freezing at that moment. It even could mute the sound of the rampaging storm outside. I held my breath as I saw the dead boy on the floor. He's still smiling and had a chitchat with me a day before, but this time he couldn't even wink his eyes anymore. Karma-kun was the only one with him at that moment. I didn't know what's happened before, but the next thing I knew was his father and mother came and dragged him far from the dead boy by his hair then chucking him down like he was a trash. The glare of anger and hatred were so tense that made me couldn't release my breath. It's inhumane view and I was just covering my mouth while watching them torturing him with things around him like wooden chair, etc.
I wanted to save him but I couldn't. My legs were stuck and trembling. My heart was throbbing fast. To see him dying in front of me was a nightmare. My eyes were blured because of the tears and as I snapped out, I already hugged him, covering him from all the beating. That's enough! That's enough! I held my voice, tying not to spill a word. It's stupid to think that they would stop after I did this; in fact they kept raining us with those stuff. It sure hurt but I couldn't let him died like this. Karma's father was abusive and didn't care especially of his second son. He's a dictator type person and no one could speak back to him. His order was absolute that no one could disobey him. One small mistake, you're done for. The mother was always nice to me as far as I didn't say a thing related to Karma-kun. She would hit my palms with a cane or a belt if I made a mistake. She won't stop hitting until she saw blood in my palms.

After they're tired, they dragged Karma-kun to the storage room in the back of the backyard far from the main mansion. The heavy-looked door was creaking as the father opened it. He locked him down and left with no word. What about his wounds? My whole body was paralized as the pain stroke me. I couldn't move nor even creeping out the spot. No one could help him, no one care of him. What a cruel reality. Three days after that incident, the father gave me an order to take care of Karma-kun's daily meals also some of the daily chores such as cooking and cleaning as a punishment. Saying 'yes' was my only option and doing it was the only way to avoid his wrath.

I started sent him his meals three times a day. At first he didn't say a word, but as the time passed, we could have a short chat. That's more than enough for me. I couldn't stay more than five minutes or the father and mother would go crazy again. I didn't know it'd been how many days or weeks since the incident, I was losing the track of time, but that didn't matter as long as I could spend my short time with him.

This morning was purely my own fault. I was overslept and I had to prepare the breakfast for everyone, but before that I had to clean the dinning room. Cooking while cleaning wasn't a good idea. I did perfect in cleaning but not the meals. At breakfast time, the father stood up and suddenly slapped my left cheek. He didn't say anything after that and let his wife took over. She took a cane and I automatically opened my palms toward her. She hit me repeatedly and stopped as it bled a bit. Satisfied by doing it? No, she ordered me to send the meals to her cursed child in the backyard. There's no time for me to treat my wounds, so I tore my lower shirt to cover my wounds. I couldn't let Karma-kun saw my hands, so I would carefully open the small door and let him to pull the plate by himself. That's the plan, I determined. Fortunately, he didn't realize it this day. His greeting refreshed me. While enduring the pain in my palms, I tried to keep my voice steady.

Don't let him know. It will hurt him more if he knows. It's enough. Just let him be.

Again, I did a mistake. Why did I say that? He's not angry, it's just that he's worried. If he kept yelling like this, his father or mother would go berserk and it's dangerous for both of us. I was glad that I took a move fast, I could at least stop his yelling and the noises. That should be fine by this. I could hear he's moving and sat down in there; so the beast was settling down. I left him immediately as I remembered about my unfinished chores. By the time I stepped my feet in the room, I saw the mother was standing and glaring before me. She's yelling at me because of the ruckus, but this time since she saw my palms were already bleeding she's just slapped my right cheek then walked away.