Chapter 1

"Yes, Grandma, I understand.  I will be there on Friday night at 7:00.  Yes, I will wear the blue dress you bought me in Rome.  No, I don't need anyone there to do my hair and makeup.  Are we really doing this again?  Fine.  I'll see you Friday.  Goodbye, Grandma."

Rory sighed as she hung up the phone with Emily Gilmore.  It seemed that her grandma's insistence on finding an appropriate potential husband for Rory had intensified as of lately, and she was none too amused.

Hartford society or not, heir to the Gilmore and Hayden fortunes or not, she was only 20 years old and in her second year at Yale.  She wondered how much worse her Grandma's stunts would be had her parents not made such a point to raise her with one foot in Hartford society and one foot firmly planted in the real world.  She was so grateful that her Mom and Dad had made the decision to raise her differently than she had been raised.

Picking up her phone, she dialed her mom.

"Lorelai's house of ill repute," her mother answered after only one ring.

"Have I told you lately how much I love you and Dad, Mom?  Because seriously, I do.  Thank you for never going Emily Gilmore on me."

"Uh-oh.  This doesn't sound good at all, kid.  What's Ava done now?"

"Just roped me into another Friday night event at their house.  I've been ordered to wear that blue dress that clings to all my curves and be on time and on my best behavior to meet some friends of Grandma and Grandpa's."

"Ouch.  No fun at all.  Are you going?"

"Of course I'm going, Mom.  You know that I try to keep the peace there and make an effort to do the reasonable things that they ask me to do."

"You're a good kid, Ror.  You know that you don't have to do anything that they ask you to do though, right?  You can always say no."

"Of course I know that, Mom.  It just seems easier sometimes to pick my battles.  I don't enjoy being constantly shown to suitable young men like a prize to be won, but it keeps her off my back.  Sometimes it's worth the peace.  Know what I mean?"

"I do know that feeling well, kiddo.  Speaking of..."

"I don't like that tone of voice, Mother."

"Now, now.  Don't go mothering me just yet.  Look, I might have an idea of what they want Friday night, okay?"

"Spill, now," ordered Rory.

"They want to introduce you to another one of their choices for the future Mr. Rory Gilmore-Hayden.  Their first choice, actually."

"That's nothing new.  I can smile and be polite and get the heck out of there as soon as possible."

"Sweetie, there's a little more going on here.  They want you to start dating this one."

"What?!  That's ridiculous, Mom!  How could you let them do this?"

"Rory, your Dad and I don't control everything.  They made it a condition of you getting your trust fund, but they're giving you the choice.  You say no, it's forgotten."

"Seriously, Mom.  How?  Just...how could you let them?"

"I'm not letting them do anything other than present you with the choice.  From there it's all in your hands.  You will get your trust fund either way, although the lucky bachelor isn't quite as fortunate.  Expect some pressure from him, because his financial situation will be drastically changed if he doesn't do this."

"This is so archaic and sexist, Mom."

"I know, sweetie.  I really do.  But you can say no, Rory.  Despite their ridiculous ideas on things, they love you, and they'll still love you if you say no."