Spinner's End (Again)

As expected, the Dark Lord heard her plea that Draco was the most trustworthy person to run her shop while she took her place as 'disciplinarian' at Hogwarts. That was supposed to go to the Carrows, as they also were going to be teaching Defence Against The Dark Arts and Muggle Studies, respectively. However, according to Dumbledore's plan, Severus had managed to convince Voldemort that they needed someone to patrol the halls, and that Filch was now too old to do it.

Harley had been sitting next to her father at the table when he made the play.

"Harley is willing to let Draco Malfoy take over the running of the shop in the daytime because he is trustworthy, and she will do Hogwarts patrols," Severus said.

"And whose idea was this?" Voldemort asked.

"It was hers, my lord," Severus said. "Spurred by my telling her how poorly Filch has gotten over the years. He might have been decent up until 1995, but it was downhill from there, I assure you."

"Miss Snape, from what I have seen from you with Bellatrix, I think you would be perfect to patrol Hogwarts," Voldemort said. "As for Draco...I have found him to be more trustworthy than his own father. Very well. We will try it this way, but I will be getting reports on you from Alecto and Amycus, to be certain you are not slagging off. You understand what will happen if you are."

Harley nodded, the phantom ache in her bones reminding her of her previous punishment. "Of course. That is quite fair, my lord."

The night before the Hogwarts term began, Harley and Severus were at Spinner's End.

"Harley, how do you plan on explaining to Longbottom, Lovegood, and that Weasley girl what you're doing at school, a staff member?" Severus asked.

She shrugged. "I was thinking a scare tactic of wearing my mask in the halls. Except possibly for Ginny, no one will be the wiser as to who I am. And I can always use a Memory Charm if necessary, but I will try to avoid it."

"I don't know why Dumbledore had to let you do this," Severus said, closing the latch on his suitcase. He would not be back at Spinner's End until the summer holiday, just like always. "Keep an eye on Malfoy, will you? His mood swings since last year are...unpredictable."

Harley nodded. "I know that. I've already dosed him with Veritaserum once, and I will do so every night when I check in with him."

She saw Severus smirk at her. "Maybe you take after me a little too much."

****

Two months into the school year, Harley was once again ready to call it quits. What the Death Eaters were doing to the students was frightening, and she had no way to get the Order involved. Instead, she did what she could to keep students as safe as possible, and keep the Carrows from injuring them.

Ginny Weasley got herself and Longbottom into trouble with Alecto, and Harley had just managed to catch the insults the two were hurdling before she saw that Alecto was going to give them the Cruciatus Curse.

"Carrow!" she called from the doorway. The two students looked at her apprehensively, and she was sure that she looked frightening, as the only Death Eater to wear the mask and robes inside the school. "I'll take them. Put your wand away...now."

Neville looked as though he had been beaten already, and Harley's stomach twisted when she thought about what must have been done to him. Ginny seemed unharmed. What they got was less than other students, however, because purebloods were treated with preference, even blood traitors like the Longbottoms and Weasleys. "Come with me."

"Where are you taking us?" Ginny asked defiantly. The girl was a Gryffindor through and through.

"To the Headmaster." Harley turned on her heel and let the two of them follow her. "One word from either of you and I'll put you back in there with Carrow."