Unit 1: Encounter

My life had been completely and utterly normal up until a strange chain of events. This dramatic turn in my life had taken a great toll on me. I'm walking home in one moment, but in the next, I'm struggling for my life.

Trying to keep that softly pounding rhythm inside my chest that seems to grow faster everytime I choke.

Trying to keep the air in.

The blood in.

I feel like I'm sick.

Trying to stand, my legs wobble below me and I fall back onto the ground. My face slams into the cold concrete. Looking up, I see her. She holds her ground against the enemy as dark red blood trickles down her arm from her shoulder. Despite that and her head's blood tainting her orangey-golden hair, she keeps a tight grip on the scepter. The staff.

I feel the horrible aching throb beat against my temple. Doing my best to stand at least one more time, my weak knees tremble below me. I grasp onto the wall. Bringing myself higher, I look above her shoulder to get a good look at what we're facing.

The dark shadows aren't enough to hide the loose, skin-covered form. An open zipper runs along half of the face down to its bloody neck, chest, and stops at its left heel. Guts, bones, and muscles seem to be the stuffing that escapes through the open stitches. Through the torn up skin, ligaments, and sinew. Parts of it look burned off or ripped apart. It seems that out of all of that, though, the only thing I could stare at were the eyes. One was completely white except for the small, black pupil. The other looked like multiple eyes that were cut and sewn together.

In fact, the whole thing looked as if it were cut and sewn together.

_________________________________________________

School. A complete waste of time for me to learn what I already know. The teacher runs his mouth like a faucet. Words pouring out of the gaping hole in his face that repeatedly opens and closes. Opens and closes. Sometimes I wonder what he's actually saying. It's time for roll, right? Chatter keeps his voice hidden away. I am extremely lost.

The late bell rings in its usual monotone manner as the teacher's single clap silences everyone.

"Class, class. We have a new student. She i-"

By this point, I insert wireless earphones into my ears and pump music in my head.

You know the feeling you get when someone's staring at you? I lift up my head to see who it is. The new girl stands right in front of my desk. She's literally just standing there, looking down on me. Her fingers fumble and intertwine with each other.

I stare into her eyes in wonder. Seriously. I wonder what the hell she's doing in front of me.

She tilts her head to the side and her strawberry-blonde curls bounce against the side of her face. Looking at me as if I'm the weird one here.

I decide to finally ask her. "Yes? What is it?"

"I'm Rogue."

"Yeah? Is that so?"

Suddenly, her expression darkens. "Yes, now don't talk to me like I'm an idiot, and show some respect by taking your freakin' earphones out."

I remove my wireless plugs, stick them into a plastic bag, and shove it into my black messenger bag.

Sarcastically smiling up at her, I raise my brows. "Happy?"

She grins back and steps to the front of the class. "Hello, my name is Rogue Ellis Fraine. My classmates used to call me REFrain. It's nice to meet you all! I hope we can be friends!"