24. I'm On A Boat, Motherf*cker

“We’re getting close,” I whispered in A’s ear.

He stifled a nervous laugh. “Where are we going?” His hands and feet were tied up, and he was sitting in the front seat of a white van I’d borrowed from my shady Mexican friend Tito. The windows were rolled down, and I was sure A could hear leaves rustling and birds chirping in the distance. The air smelled clean and sweet as I zoomed by familiar roads to the very outskirts of Rosebush.

“It’s a surprise,” I said, squeezing his hand. “But I promise it’s good. You’re going to love it.”

After I’d called him, I’d told A to meet me at the mall. He had assumed that we were going to do some shopping, but then I had directed me into the parking lot, where the van was waiting. After he’d gotten into the passenger seat, I had put a blindfold on him and had tied his hands and feet together with brightly colored scarves that I’d “borrowed” from Henna Cockcutoff’s room. I’d told him that I was taking him to a secret place, and that he couldn’t see until we got there. As far as he knew, we could be headed off anywhere.

The whole thing was totally kinky and awesome.

“I know I can trust you,” A said now. “I wouldn’t let just anyone tie me up and take me somewhere random in a white van.”

“I know,” I said as I untied his restraints, kissing his gloved hand. “I’m honored. I just hope you like where we are.”

I slowly led him out of the van. Gravel crunched under our feet. Once we’d taken about ten or twenty steps, I ripped off the blindfold. “Ta-da!” I said.

The first thing he saw was me--I knew this because my own reflection was mirrored in A’s aviator sunglasses. He must’ve had a million pairs--every single time I saw him, he had a different set on. Then he moved his gaze to the huge blue lake behind me, complete with a dock that had several rowboats tied onto it. In one of them was a plaid picnic blanket, complete with a bottle of rum, two shot glasses, and a box of Triscuits. I had gone ahead and set it up when no one was looking.

He put my hands to his mouth. “Oh my gosh!” he said. “It’s lovely! Where is this?”

“Harold’s Boating and Family Fun Center,” I said, giving him a surprised look. “You’ve never been here?”

He stared out into the distance and shook his head. “It’s beautiful, though.”

“The rowing is amazing.” I walked to the boat and got in. “Come on. I’ll take us around.”

He obliged and got in next to me. “Are you a good rower?”

“Uh, my dad was on the varsity crew team when he was in high school. That’s, like, one degree of separation from being really good, right?” I untied the boat and picked up the oars. “He taught me a while ago.”

“I believe in you.” He smiled at me. “I’m glad you called me. I was kinda missing you.”

I looked straight into his sunglasses. “I was kinda missing you, too,” I said shyly. Then I started rowing out into the middle of the lake. Surprisingly, I remembered everything that my dad had taught me, and the boat glided effortlessly out onto the water. “This is, like, the best. I’m glad you came here with me today.” I looked at him playfully. “This almost makes up for you having to miss my fabulous end-of-the-year party.”

A pouted. “I’ll make it up to you for real someday,” he promised.

“I’ll hold you to that,” I said with a wink. “I swear, you’re like an antidepressant. I was feeling totally down earlier and you’ve made me feel better in the fifteen minutes we’ve been together.”