Chapter 48: Final

No, not again. Not like Rydin.

His blood continued to flow, slipping past her blockade and warming her hands. No amount of pressure silenced the voices hollering his end. Rather, the voices summoned the scythe bearing lunatic who reared its ugly head, ready to cleave.

She swatted the pest. Not now, he could not die now. Death solved nothing. Not her pain, not Rydin's death, and definitely not his parents sacrifice. If anything, he needed to live and repent.

"Asterick!" she screamed over the blood curdling cries.

Her gaze shifted frantically for his physique through the throng of fighters. She laid her eyes on each Noble for a mere second before bouncing to the next. Damn him, where was he? Her search quickened as Rein's warm life ebbed through her fingertips.

"Asterick!" Her voice screeched.

"Yes, yes, what is it?" he chuckled, approaching from behind.

Isla craned her neck, watching him kneel beside her. She stared straight, their gazes connecting. "Help him."

His eyes flickered between them, narrowing to slits. "Isla, love. You know I'd help you or any woman in a heartbeat, but this," he motioned towards Rein, "this is different."

"Asterick, he's innocent. He became a God to spy on my father. Please, Asterick."

He sighed. "Very well, I'll try, but don't expect a miracle."

"Thank you."

Isla stood, wiping her bloodied hands and readied her forsaken blade, the tip still dripping red. She would deliver Rein's pain upon Osiris. He deserved as much.

She turned, searching for him and spied Osiris near his throne, defending against Calimitrin's attacks. But Lucifer and Skye disappeared. Her vision extended, checking the crumpled bodies. Where was he?

Isla stepped forward, the black outline of his frame peeking from behind the throne. Three good strides away and Skye leaned back, his wounds grounding him.

She maneuvered to Lucifer through the fighting, her gaze dissecting the damaged area. A wide cut severed his chest plate, lacerating his tanned skin.

"I'm fine," he rasped. "Shallow at best, but he pushed me aside."

"Good, stay out of the way old man," Isla retorted before pivoting, her back to him. She relaxed her fingers entangling her sword's hilt.

"I'm not that old," Lucifer grumbled, "be careful."

She nodded, but continued forward without pause. With full strides, she shifted from walk to run as she approached Osiris. The battles fighting nearby dispersed, the victors licking their wounds and the defeated dead heeps upon the floor. Though quieter, her adrenaline surged and her sights focused.

Isla stormed ahead, her sword directed and descending upon Osiris. He retreated a step, widening his view and created a defensive barrier. On impact, the yellow translucent sphere fluctuated and hummed from their weapons.

Jumping back, she scoured the translucent hindrance. Where could she strike?

"Isla, it's rude to interfere. Hasn't life taught you anything? Wait your turn."

She snorted, but remained poised. "I don't think so."

Osiris lowered his sword, the blade a luminous white, the light blazing stronger than his henchmen's wares. His gaze traveled right, brief but explicit, towards Rein. "You're rushing death, Isla. We see you wish to join him."

"And your point? Only a fool would wait." She tightened her grip, her fingers bleaching. Still, her focus remained. One second more, another shift and a weakness could form.