Chapter 9: Intermission

After their successful rescue, Isla split from Rydin. He claimed some unknown responsibility to all the children and sought to deliver them home—Vale and Sena included. And given the paranoid and watchful eye he fixated on Leef, he would be long.

She had followed Rydin till they encountered a steady stream of midnight vagrants then veered away. The trek avoided the darkened and filth coated slums, back to the inn's familiar sign and stench.

Ascending the steps, she pushed opened the slab preventing her access. The external smell coating the entrance had distorted her mind. For inside, the seats were barren. Only the presence of Callum deterred her gaze, his back leaning against the bar's middle column.

"Ye back," Callum greeted. "Where be the boy? Your friend."

She paused her quick retort, closing the door behind her. Walking forward, Isla stopped before the counter. "We aren't friends."

His brow rose. "Aye?"

"He's with his brother."

"Good, that be good. A success then," he mused while brushing his beard.

Isla concluded their small exchange, heading for the bar's back corner.

"Ah, wait a second lass," Callum interrupted, stopping her mid-stride. "Quick ta run, aren't we."

She turned, facing him and glared. "What?"

His jolliness remained unfazed by her venom laced tone. "Arcadia. You and the boy are tryin' tae go, right?"

Isla righted her stance and crossed her arms. "And?"

"I can help ye."

"Help? I thought you already rejected Rydin's request."

He chuckled. "I had ma reasons. Can't have the boy be runnin' to his death. How could I face his old man when death claims ma soul."

"Why do you think that?"

"The betrayers be a prime target for the Gods. Who knows when they will fight."

She snorted. "It's been centuries since they isolated themselves. If the Gods wanted to return their control over the Seraphines, why would they wait?"

"Who knows what they think. They different than us common folk. Wouldn't ye know?"

"They're insane," she derided. "Manipulative, arrogant, brutal. You name it."

"That be true. But that ain't what I was askin'. Don't ye know, lass? The Gods ha'e a bounty on yer head. Kill on sight."

The Gods created her bounty? Interesting. Did this mean both Skye and her father were Gods? But still, her a God? If true, how laughable and character condemning her existence would be.

Still, background as a God wouldn't explain the reincarnation. She never heard of Gods attaining the rights to immortality. Forget a second life, even their regeneration became worthless when faced alongside their demonic counterparts. Information? Not a chance. Especially when this gigantic gap existed within her newfound reasoning. And even more so, a disgusting after taste.

"A warnin' lass, there be greedy eyes about. And they already know ye here."

She clicked her tongue. Dammit, those men from yesterday. They hadn't been chasing her because of this kidnapping incident. Truly, they had sights on her life.

Isla cocked her head, staring left. "So they've already found me."

"If ye stay, ye'll die," he remarked.