Chapter 20: Quiet Time

With the drab domain the mercenaries tenanted behind, Isla breathed crisp, refreshing air. Her sister waited with a scowl twisting her face.

"He walked all over you," Isla voiced, stashing her inquiries of their prior confrontations.

"He loves money. The only thing he trusts. Odd in this line of business when you trust your back to comrades, but who am I to judge. Still, it doesn't make him any less than a curse." Layla sighed and furrowed her brow. "Just be careful. Varnis shouldn't be a problem, but I can't say the same for his men. There's one that could be a handful."

"It's fine. I can always off him before he attacks."

Layla laughed, smiling wide and bright. "I'm glad. They'll still be useful. Worse case, they can block an attack or two. Use them as a shield."

"Should a close companion to the Queen be speaking such hypotheticals?" Isla teased. "You could get yourself in trouble being an oh-so dangerous God."

"Like that old woman would care."

"You'll make our mother upset with such slander to your benefactor."

"Oh no!" Layla slapped her forehead. "I'm a terrible daughter."

Isla snorted. "So who's the problem child I need to watch out for?"

She tapped her chin. "I don't recall his name, but you'll know once he talks. He'll be that one guy who whines the loudest. Most Arcadians will straight up ignore our kind, he's a special case."

"I take it most don't want to risk angering us."

"Exactly. Even if we're the farthest thing from your stereotypical God. The fear still exists."

Isla watched the crowd swarm past, the colors mixed, convoluting her vision. "I don't blame them."

"I'm afraid I don't have much experience with others. I've heard the stories though," she murmured. Layla clapped her hands then rubbed them together. "No more depressing talks. Let's go. I have another place to bring you."

Isla crossed her arms, narrowing her gaze. "Where?"

"It wouldn't be fun if I told you."

"I don't care."

Layla sighed. "Food, okay? Or will you run away again?"

"If you'll stop bothering me afterward, we'll have a deal."

She shrugged, displacing the emotional blow. "We'll see." Layla entered the streaming crowd. She skirted the center, weaving around extruded storefronts.

Isla glanced overhead and groaned. She smothered the impulse to escape, instead, circumventing obstacles a measure behind her sister.

They turned left, traversing a spacious side street. Isla lengthed her stride, joining Layla's pace and resumed their talk. "What do you know about the forest?"

Layla glanced at her. "Did you come through the nearest movement sphere?"

"Yeah. You're referring to the unnatural forest on the way here?"

"That's the one." She nodded and continued. "A dreadful place. I made the mistake of entering the place alone my first time. When I say this, I don't mean a normal life, but the forest is alive. The place has a conscious of its own."

"In what way?"

"The forest has a merged aura. Because of that, several protective measures are spread throughout: barriers, miasma, you name it. Intruders are broadcasted to the forest's inhabitants. They'll know you're there and they will hunt you."